Someone explain the DAC's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

birdyman

2010-01-15 2:28 pm
I have been reading up to my eye balls on DAC's in this forum. I am running out of my patients and my eyes are getting too bleary. I have learned there are different DAC designs based on DAC chips and NOS and OS etc.. But I do not know exact pros and cons of each DAC designs. I might take too long to understand all about DAC's.
I am using network attached hard drive/media server with Denon ASD-3n and Denon receiver AVR 998(?). I am planning to replace ASD-3n with something(...Netgear media player) that can utilize a new DAC(?).
I am eager to jump in and get my soldering irons dirty on a DAC kit or a design. But I do not know which one to choose. I do not want to make an entry level DAC to get the experience nor completely finished ones. I want to make the best DAC even if any blunder can be pricey. Someone please point me to right direction.

nightanole

2009-02-28 1:24 pm
Well first this is do you want to ask is do you want usb or spidf. Then a NOS dac or a normal one or one with a asrc chip in it. After that you need to know you want a current out chip, or a voltage out chip. Then its time to ask what your output buffer will be, opamp or transformer. We also need to know price and size requirements.

birdyman

2010-01-15 2:28 pm
Thank you for timely reply

I am planning to use Zen I/V stage, so I need I out chip. I am looking into Salas shunt reg or low noise chip regulators for PS's for separate stages on the DAC. I am planing to build preamp but I am open to incorporate volume & tone control on the DAC to completely by pass preamp because I do not use phono stage at all. Rest of options you mentioned are the area I need help with.

I am still reading to catch all jargons but my eyes are start to wondering away from long posts on this forum.
I have few digital sources-ie.. PS3(Toslink,HDMI(?)), DVD player(Toslink, Coax),Media Player( Toslink, Coax,HDMI, Fire Wire), Iphone(USB)- that I want to connect to a DAC. My ideal DIY DAC may need to have multi channel/ multi format input selector to choose between sources. I do not know pros and cons of NOS and Normal sampling nor ASRC functions.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.