Some speaker driver measurements...

Ginetto, as you are probably familiar, a fundamental paper on IMD distortion by Wolfgang Klippel is "Loudspeaker Nonlinearities – Causes, Parameters, Symptoms":

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/_m...linearities–Causes_Parameters_Symptoms_01.pdf

Read the "Introduction" and "Conclusions" sections first, and then skim the article for what you can digest, little by little. Then continue to refer back again and again as others provided explanations. Move the mountain, shovel by shovel.

Last edited:
Ginetto, as you are probably familiar, a fundamental paper on IMD distortion by Wolfgang Klippel is "Loudspeaker Nonlinearities – Causes, Parameters, Symptoms":
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/_m...linearities–Causes_Parameters_Symptoms_01.pdf
Read the "Introduction" and "Conclusions" sections first, and then skim the article for what you can digest, little by little.
Then continue to refer back again and again as others provided explanations.
Move the mountain, shovel by shovel

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting link. This is difficult ... very scientific and therefore difficult. I will try to catch something ...
Going back at drivers testing even very famous speaker designers state that the listening tests (for instance using human speech recordings) are fundamental to check the actual sound quality provided by the drivers.
I would be very intrigued by the reverse process.
After that an agreement on the high quality of a specific driver is reached i would try to measure it in order to understand why it sounds so good.
I got a lot of insults once discussing about the Quad ESL 63. Their midrange is much lauded for quality.
I had the effrontery to point out that these speakers have a very nice square wave response :rolleyes:... open up heaven :eek:
I got all kind of critics ... however this did not stop me about thinking that some kind of measurements can have the chance to be correlated with sound quality.
This IMD measurement is also very promising in my view.
The very trivial principle is what you sent in you must get at the output.
and the more the differences the less true to the source signal is the transducer.
I know it is very trivial ... and i am resigned to further critics :eek:
Sorry for the poor english ...

Last edited:
sb10pgc21-4 please :) ? Did anybody measured it? I'm planning to use it with peerless SLS-85S25CP04-04 3,5" woofer and make small PC desktop speakers. I'm mostly concerned about it's harmonics performance because I don't think it has any copper cap/ring.

OK. I've found something :/ . My concerns have been confirmed. Neu im Shop, ein 3 Zoll Breitbander von... - Lautsprecher Berlin Shop | Facebook . It does rather poorly in harmonics measurment.

Last edited:
Hopefully :) but they do demand an uptick in price.

Canadian Solen have listed the;
MW16TX-8 as $390 cad / $294 usd / €270 euro .. each.
TW29TXN-8 as $321 cad / $242 usd / €222 euro ... each (for that I can get a beryllium tweeter)

The Satori MW16PNW-8 cost $220 cad / $165 usd / €152 euro ... each.

If this is the final price is too early to say.

It's unlikely that the TX drivers will have significantly better distortion as the current paper satori are very close to as good as you can get anyway. The only improvements we should realistically hope to see would be ones from the absence of cone resonances.

As others have said these are just the TX cone on the normal satori motor. SB are simply charging a large premium for the privilege.

As per the price Vs the Purifi. €270 Vs €311? These are close enough as to be inconsequential for anyone building an entire two way, or similar, with them. As to which I'd prefer? Depends how the TX actually measures. I'd likely prefer the Purifi.

Purifi has better H2 (lower) distortion than the Satori but that is not the same as Satori being a poor choice. Since much of the distortion is cone material, perhaps the "gap" between Purifi and Satori will be decreased.
And in the end, the price difference is fairly small in the grand scheme of things.