Some speaker driver measurements...

In Germany the diy magazines Klang und Ton and Hobby Hifi offer regularly measurements. I have them all.

IMG_20230930_041928.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not as enthusiastic about the NE180W-08

I investigated this driver as a potential candidate to turn into a coaxial due to the 40mm VC. Buoyed by @TMM ‘s measurements, I purchased a single unit. My build date was fairly recent; but it measured more like Zaph and @HiFiCompass ’s samples- not as smooth as Tim's measurements. It would be a challenge to flatten the FR without DSP. The bass is certainly better than the SB17 though.

View attachment 1218110 View attachment 1218112 View attachment 1218111

Both measured in same box (0.7 cu ft sealed with baffle 17" H x 8 1/4" W, and same conditions (50cm, 6ms window). These are not anechoic quality measurements, but gave me enough data to not move forward with it.

All in all, measurements more similar to Yevgeniy's than Tim's.

Anyhow, of little consequence now. I wasn't sure whether it's worth my input on this- it's NLA.
Hey, NE180 3rd harmonic is very smooth and only half of that of SB17!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@Juhazi

Yes, SB15 & 17N(B)/CAC has better linear distortion performance than NE149/180, but not as good non-linear distortion performance below 200Hz.

This is why we chose it as the base for a pure midrange coaxial 200Hz to 20KHz:

http://5een.co.uk/SB17Coax.htm

We couldn’t go forward with the NE180 as a coaxial, unless we made a MOQ of 500. And request a metal cone. The 1.5” VC certainly is handy…

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Can't wait to see the meas results of the Scan-Killer from Dayton Audio , the Sig120 , only 30 bucks!

Heaven is only $30 away why don't you go and grab it for your own good :)

(homeric laughter round the globe causing some minor tsunami on all coasts)

OK let’s not lose our mind.

It looks to be a Peerless HDS-P835023/4/5 replacement. Round frames and improved frequency response is welcome.

Awesome ... spaceship starting ... how lovely translated into sound (crank up your stereo to insane levels) ... never been better presented ... and later some effect sound like minor tsunami waves , around 03:50sec :

For such an old recording pretty amazing right?

Please Mr. Devil give us more of this earblasting unholy stuff :)

At least two nasty resonances occur around 3.5 and 4.5kHz in this wonderous CryCone beloved by Andrew Jones :

https://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/7.5in-SATORI-MT19CP-8-curve.jpg

Please compare with the 36cm2 dome midrange from the same company :

https://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2.5in-SATORI-MD60N-6-new-curve.jpg

Which one do you think sounds better , the AJ treated wobblecone mysteria (but probably fixed by some EQ electromagic sauce) or the natural resonance-free superdomestic starDome?

Btw I remember having a direct disc recording of classical music with 45rpm speed(!) by Prof. Keith Johnson of Reference Recordings which demonstrates very well when brass instruments are going in full action : The cone is CRYING terrible if you stress it with a lot of energy in his critical freq. band!

Not so with a dome mid , it is much more well behaved , not annoying!

https://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2.5in-SATORI-MD60N-6-new-curve.jpg

Choose your poison please :)

Generally, resonances in speakers are not a good think, but nothing is ideal, we have to work with real drivers, full of compromises.
Each drivers has it purpose, its usable passband.
For Satori coax, it is ~40-1800Hz for midwoofer part.
For MD60N it is ~800-4000Hz.
Totally different drivers, different usecases.
If the resonances are withing that passband, it is not good.
If the resonances are outside, one has to make the assessment:
  • does the resonance mirrors its distortion components to the passband? Does this phenomenon further limits the passband even more? Seas Magnesium Excel drivers are typical examples. Purifi shown that mirroring might be compensated...
  • how close can crossover frequency be to the resonance and with what slope to make the resonance inaudible? Rule of thumb, -40dB suppression relative to FR of the loudspeaker is usually considered being safe
  • the nature of the resonance? Is it mild paper breaup ~5dB or alu ~>10dB breakup?

So, while resonace is a bad word in audio world (mostly), it is not that bad and there are means and workarounds to work with non-ideal drivers, which are basically all of them.

Regarding Satori coax, while it is not good, I think LR4 1800Hz + additional RLC? would work.

You offer to choose between coax capable to make 2way or 3way with large woofer, and middome which can hardly go below 1kHz. It does not make sense.
I noticed your comment in my Sica coaxes thread, you did not like Sica coaxes, which is ok, but you did not give the explanation, you just dissmissed the drivers right away. I admit they are not perfect, but again, what is?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry but I do not remember myself having criticized your Sica Coaxes!

Glitch in the matrix?

Btw - KEF has mastered those ugly resonances in the cone much better , given other designers a hard job to follow up!

So why swallow an old toad if you can have a young crispy frog that makes your mouth water says mister stork :)