• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

soldering iron purchase advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Weller does still make good products, but there has been a obvious cost reduction trend. Let's compare, as example, the WTCP-S entry level 50W soldering iron from the the '80 to the current 50W entry level WE1010. The WTCP-S does have a power on light: you see immediately when the iron is turned on. The WE1010 does not have this feature, it has been reserved to more expensive models. The WTCP-S soldering iron rest is heawier and more stable than the one supplied with WE1010. Again: you need to purchase the far more expensive WT1010 soldering station set to get a comparable feature. The WTCP-S soldering iron does use a thicker plastic, and the tip holder screw is made of metal. The WE1010 does not even have the connection for the antistatic mat on the front. This is why I suggested to the original poster to buy a old Weller for home use, instead of a current production entry level. After getting used to the WS81 quality, the WE1010 would be a disappointement.

Weller WE1010 digital soldering station

My I am looking at the bright side of life :)
My Weller are WD-1 one excellent work horse :cheers:
You are happy with the other brands and different tools products ..well enjoy :D Good luck

Attachments

• C56D7BA1-950F-4510-8767-239324CC2DBF.JPG
    C56D7BA1-950F-4510-8767-239324CC2DBF.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 173
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Weller is using the same brand for professional products such as the WX line and the hobby/educational market. A professional Weller soldering iron does cost upwards of 500 euro, and it does have the features required by a work environement today, such as the fume extractor remote control, fast tip exchange, and data interface to the automation system.

My trusty Weller was acting up, so I bought this as a temporary replacement.
HTB1Yrqoavv85uJjSZFxq6yl4XXaX.jpg

After I fixed the Weller, I have both stations side by side, but the T12 has become my go to iron, the Weller's got barely any use anymore.

The good:
  • Super faster heating
  • Precise temp setting to anything I fancy
  • Auto sleep mode
  • And, best of all: the tips are only a few $ a piece, inc. shipping!
The bad:
  • It doesn't seem as rugged as the older Weller's, but so far (2y of amateur use) not a single prob.
  • It comes with a K series tip that I don't like, but I also ordered the D24 and the BL, and they're great
  • The holder is not very good, but there're much better ones
HTB1DI_DXdfvK1RjSspoq6zfNpXa2.jpg

Unless you want to buy new ($$$$$) I would avoid a Metcal as many of the older units are difficult if not impossible to get tips for. I own a SP-PW1 10 and have difficulty finding tips. Fortunately I bought several a few years back.

Get one of the newer Weller or similar stations and get several tips as spares. Obsolescence sucks.

Last edited:
.. A professional Weller soldering iron does cost upwards of 500 euro
Not truth Weller WE1010 digital soldering station
USB soldering stations connections and all Weller software are for huge company's ( too much of precison ) is for NASA.
Try buy a professional quality tools, can find second market ( my model new price was + 400€ )
find this for price ~ 200€ Weller 80 Watts 450 °C and enjoy soldering next 15 years..and more..
:) Best regards

My main soldering iron is an Antex 25W. It is very competively priced and performs beyond its humble price. I have seen several service technicians who used Antex soldering irons. Mine is powered through a 60W rated dimmer circuit which allows me to adjust the power according to use. It is a simple way to mimic a temperature controlled soldering iron. The dimmer is housed in a box with a mains outlet socket to allow me to swap soldering irons easily.

Hi,

recently my old faithful Weller broke down after several dozens of years of service.
Knowing that such longevity can't be found nowadays and Weller seemingly building 'oldschool' stuff I didn't want to pay a fortune for .... i bought a cheap T12 alike station for just 35€ over epay. Its so cheap I had to give it a test before maybe buying a KSGER or even a JBC then.
Guess what .... it beats the Wellers (which we also have at work) in most aspects.
- smaller, takes less workbench real estate
- quite powerful at up to 75W
- heats up in a few seconds (wake-up sensor) and controls the temperature faster and more precise due to the T-sensor and heating element beeing located in the tip front
- power efficient, as it is just 'on' for a short period
- soldering tips last longer due to less high-temperature time
- quick change system for soldering tips
- calibration of tips and choice of multiple tip profiles
- great number of different tips .... and tips costing just a couple of € insead of a couple of tens of €
- nice handles with a soft cables ... working with it is real easy and fun
- unbelievably good price/performance relationship

i'm quite certain that it won't last a couple of dozen years again .... but then, neither will the modern stations of brand names

jauu
Calvin

Last edited:
Hi,

recently my old faithful Weller broke down after several dozens of years of service.
- great number of different tips .... and tips costing just a couple of € insead of a couple of tens of €

You can easyly repair this old unit :) They do the job again in one more decade.

Is not fair to compare Weller produced in the 90's with new 2020 year modern products.
This new cheap soldering station need to be compared to new model Weller produce today in 2020 in my humble opinion.

You write tips cost couple of tens € why ??
Look first Weller prices : Soldering tips, desoldering tips and hot air nozzles | Burklin Elektronik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.