Soldering Gear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking to get some Metcal gear off ebay, but I dont know where to begin. There's the PS2E, SP200, SP-PW1, RFG-30, and the slightly beyond my price MX500.

I have no idea what all these different units are. Googling gives me massive information glut. I dont even know if there's something besides metcal i should be looking at.

My one requirement is being able to do surface mount, although it should be a generally capable soldering system.

Myren

i guess my main unresolved question resolved around the Metcal series.

Is the MX-500P the cheapest option with temperature control? I dont seem to see much more than on/off on all the other listed units, which is a big problem.

I'm suprised such an expensive premium brand doesnt have a digital temperature display.

Myren

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Metcal soldering stations consist of an RF power source, iron, and stand. Temperature is controlled by the tip. You can buy 500C, 600C, 700C, etc tips and you just swap them when you need different temperatures.
The PS2E is a power source and is the predecessor to the MX500. Its typically the best deal in Metcal irons that you will find on ebay. Through a few different auctions I picked up a PS2E, iron, stand, and a number of different temperaturs tips and I probably spent about $150. Well worth the money.

---Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.