Sold my Accuphase. Should I try UCD/Zappulse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, but that's likely the best place to get them from, since he makes them, there's no dealer mark up.

If you aren't experienced, dont' bother modding them, they're high end to start with and should sound great right from the factory with no tweaking needed. Don't worry about it.

Anyway if you want to pay extra for them, you can go to the hypex page you linked to and click on "dealers" at the top to find the distributors.

mattjk said:
actually, I had them running on a friend's Watt/Puppy 6, and there was no noise coming from the tweeters.

For there to be *no* noise coming from them close up, then either they weren't actually running at the time (they only fire up when the audio signal starts), or else the Watt's must be pretty inefficient (?).

Most amps do have some low level idle hiss.

Can you tell more about your setup though? I'm wondering what you did differently to me...?

ewildgoose said:

For there to be *no* noise coming from them close up, then either they weren't actually running at the time (they only fire up when the audio signal starts), or else the Watt's must be pretty inefficient (?).

Most amps do have some low level idle hiss.

Can you tell more about your setup though? I'm wondering what you did differently to me...?

I just have the modules REALLY close together, twisted the transformer wires, and I am not running the softstart module. I am also running single ended.

mlihl said:
Hello everyone,

sold my Accuphase E-408 integrated amp because I needed
the money (cry) :(

I read so many nice comments about the chip amps in this
forum and to be honest, I feel tempted to build one.
Do you believe I can get comparable quality (or maybe
even better) with a Zappulse or UCD180 based amp?
I will also need a good preamp for it.

Hope you have some suggestions or maybe you
can cheer me up a bit. Still feel sad not seeing
the beautiful Accuphase on my shelf (has been a dream
for many years and it wasn't easy to let go...hope
I will get over it)

Michael

Hi MIchael,

I feel bad for you, I can sell you my Accuphase E407 for a nice price since I`m not needing it anymore since I have the UcD180 based amp. This should say enough.

Best regards

Gertjan

mattjk said:
What noise? Mine are dead silent.

I don`t get that, I have 4 ZAPPulse modules and they all make the same noise, whether I use only one module or two modules, whether there is something connected to the input, yes or no. Does not make a difference.

It may depend on speaker sensitivity, they are a bit noisier than my Tripath based Marantz and in comparison with UcD they loose big time. The UcD is extremely silent. For my active speakers driving tweeter and mids directly, I can hear the noise at listening position at low levels.

Best regards

Gertjan

well, I have Acoustat 2+2 electrostats. They are floor to ceiling units.

I was told by diycable to mount the modules as close as possible so they would synch and not cause any noises. :confused:

I did just that and I have absolutely no noise. :confused:

I can hear hum when I use my phono stage, but when using CD, I can't hear any noises.

pic of the speakers
medium.jpg

ghemink said:

I don`t get that, I have 4 ZAPPulse modules and they all make the same noise, whether I use only one module or two modules, whether there is something connected to the input, yes or no. Does not make a difference.

It may depend on speaker sensitivity, they are a bit noisier than my Tripath based Marantz and in comparison with UcD they loose big time. The UcD is extremely silent. For my active speakers driving tweeter and mids directly, I can hear the noise at listening position at low levels.

Best regards

Gertjan

As far as I can tell, the only things that I have done differently from other people, is that I do NOT have the AC ground connected, and I am not using a soft-start module. I have just the Predator P.S and transformer.

Matt

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After reading this posts, I am starting to believe the Hypex UCD180 might be better than a Thel accusound 100.

Are these comparable in sound quality ?

Did anybody teste the Ground Sound PA3CC.

Any comments will be highly apreciated.

Best regards

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.