soft vs hard mid-woofers cones: audible directivity characteristics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I heard one small 2,5 way speaker that used 2xSeas W16 mg cones. Speaker propably had the best bass performance that I've ever heard from small speaker. Speaker was slim (17cm) ja cabinet max 20 liters. Bass was quite deep, not boomy and very precise at the same time.

Has someone experiences that hard cones would be ultimate in bass production? Seas Excel's are very expensive, what cheaper choices there is? Seas L-series, Visaton has some alu cones. Zaph made that small 4,5" alu cone if I remember correctly.

Hi,

In the bass range the main criterion is the motor and the load...and the listening room caracteristics. That's because all the membranes have a pistonic behaviour at these frequencies.
RS Dayton range has aluminium membranes and a very good price/quality ratio IMHO.;)

Hi,

In the bass range the main criterion is the motor and the load...and the listening room caracteristics. That's because all the membranes have a pistonic behaviour at these frequencies.
RS Dayton range has aluminium membranes and a very good price/quality ratio IMHO.;)

What load do you mean? Impedance not too hard for the amp?

Bass instruments do contain harmonics up to treble, what if hard cones is better in mids for maintain natural tone of (bass) instruments because it is more pistonic?

What load do you mean? acoustic loading of the enclosure allowing more or less sub-bass, damping, group delay and on... Impedance not too hard for the amp? yes, obviously

Bass instruments do contain harmonics up to treble, what if hard cones is better in mids for maintain natural tone of (bass) instruments because it is more pistonic? Yes, you're right...but here you don't speak about bass range anymore...
And to follow a bit your last statement: what is often unknown in the perceived bass range quality is the global tonal balance of the speaker, mainly due to the quality of the filter design; a very good tonal balance let you feel that the bass range is of high quality, even if the other criteria are not optimal.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.