smart way to charging batteries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, Peter before i settled for 12+ ct 12- and low dropout regs i did consider 24+ ct 24- and i did find i charger on the web expensive $150 or so you`ll have to do a search in Google and i found it by just saying (24v battery charger) and it was the only one i found . It was for Panasonic Panavision Professinal Movie camera and i think it was built by Panavision as well about the size of 2x cigarett packetts together.
Cheers George
(ps let me know if you find it again as i may go to 24v as well)

li_gangyi said:
will ya give use the schematic when you are done researching on it?? seems pretty hard to charge 2 batteries in series...the problem of unmatched batteries becomes a real pain...

Use one of the circuit I mentioned earlier for each battery. No problem at all putting them in series. Just make sure that they all connect to different AC windings, otherwise the transformer might get cooked. Just use the cheapest transformer(s) you can find since they are separated from the circuit by the relay once the AC power is pulled off, and won't affect the audio signal at all. Very easy to use and not expensive at all.

Before connecting the charger to battery, adjust VR1 so that the output voltage is 13.8V. The charging current is approximately 0.6V/R3.

The following picture is a battery-powered +/-24V amplifier with four 12V/4AH batteries in series.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You will need one separate winding for each battery-charging module.
The current capacity is not that critical. Being able to supply the charging current you want will be sufficient. In my own power amp (not the one in the picture) I used 4 15V/1A windings to charge 4 batteries at a current of 500mA each.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.