• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Small Size Output Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !
I found a small size transformer that can be interesting for low power amps. It is from RS, and code is 210-6475 , the primary impedance is between 4K - 15 K , the secundary 3 - 15 Ohms ,and allows 40mA DC, with 3.5 Watts max power. I tested it ,and the sound is OK for the size!
Perfect for a mini tube amplifier! The cost is about 10 Euros!
Hope is usefull
Silvino

Last edited by a moderator:
As this has a centre tapped primary, could this transformer be used in push-pull mode with suitable Triodes having a low Ra? I was thinking of something like the 5687. Might make a good headphone amplifier.

Attachments

• af tranny info_RS210_6475.JPG
    af tranny info_RS210_6475.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 429
Hi !
I used this transformer in SE with ECC804 with the triodes in parallel for headphone amplifier,but i think it can be used in PP as well ! I will make a test in PP and post the results! I have some 6N7 ,maybe it worth a test!
Just for Fun
Silvino

Hi Silvino,

I hooked these OTs to my SE 6DT5, and a few seconds after turn on there is an increasingly loud hum.

I thought it might be my wiring, so ive just rewired the whole amp, and am sill noticing the same hum. Im concerned it might be the transformers, as the old transformers were fine.

Have you noticed a problem like that?

Can you, or anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie

Hi Silvino,

I hooked these OTs to my SE 6DT5, and a few seconds after turn on there is an increasingly loud hum.

I thought it might be my wiring, so ive just rewired the whole amp, and am sill noticing the same hum. Im concerned it might be the transformers, as the old transformers were fine.

Have you noticed a problem like that?

Can you, or anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie
Hi Charlie!
No ! No hum at all! and as far as i know a OT doesnt make any hum ! If the wiring is ok,the hum has to come from somewhere else,i think ! Are the OTs mounted very close to the Power Transformer?

Silvino

Hi Silvino,

Ive fitted the components into an old radio, so there isnt much space, but ive made sure that ive given the OTs enough room from the PT.

When testing the B+ on the primary the 'buzzing' intermitently gets worse and cuts out. Ive checked as much as I can, but my knowledge isnt good enough to diagnose the problem.

It seems there is some serious interference from somewhere.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Charlie

Hi DF96,

Thanks for your help, think this is currently being discussed on 2 threads now, so sorry for that.

The problem was 'buzz', this was solved by a ground lead from the volume pot not being connected to star ground.

Now its just a hum, but the hum isnt present when the pot is fully turned left or right.

If you can help, maybe reply on the 'power supply buzz' thread to save confusion.

All I can suggest is that the pot is faulty, but maybe there is a more detailed reason for it...?

Thanks again

Charlie

As this has a centre tapped primary, could this transformer be used in push-pull mode with suitable Triodes having a low Ra? I was thinking of something like the 5687. Might make a good headphone amplifier.

Yes you can and you don't have to worry about DC balance.

The low primary inductance is not as bad as it looks because it has been measured at 100Hz with only 0.274V at 40 mA DC. With higher voltage it will increase a lot and at lower frequency it will be also higher because of the lower losses.
This specification is more conservative than most hi-end transformers which are measured in the most convenient conditions....
In a PP situation with lower o no DC it will also be a little bit higher and will have more headroom.
I would be more worried about high frequency response and loop feedback could not be straightforward....
It appears to have 4000 turns on the primary that are a lot. I would use it as 7K (connection 1-4 both in SE and PP plate-to-plate) 8 ohms (connection A-D) to avoid additional loss due to unused turns. It is already high (more than 1K primary DC resistance and 1.5 ohms secondary DC resistance). Power loss could be lower using 16 ohms load (for 14K primary using the previous connection) but then inductance could be a limiting factor at low frequency.

Last edited:
Yes you can and you don't have to worry about DC balance.

The low primary inductance is not as bad as it looks because it has been measured at 100Hz with only 0.274V at 40 mA DC. With higher voltage it will increase a lot and at lower frequency it will be also higher because of the lower losses.
This specification is more conservative than most hi-end transformers which are measured in the most convenient conditions....
In a PP situation with lower o no DC it will also be a little bit higher and will have more headroom.
I would be more worried about high frequency response and loop feedback could not be straightforward....
It appears to have 4000 turns on the primary that are a lot. I would use it as 7K (connection 1-4 both in SE and PP plate-to-plate) 8 ohms (connection A-D) to avoid additional loss due to unused turns. It is already high (more than 1K primary DC resistance and 1.5 ohms secondary DC resistance). Power loss could be lower using 16 ohms load (for 14K primary using the previous connection) but then inductance could be a limiting factor at low frequency.

P.S
I forgot about the phases......
You have to reverse the phase of one half-primary. Under the white tape take connection 2 and disconnect the two halves one is the termination from 1 and the other is the start that ends at 4. Then take 4 and connect to the end of 1 (or take 1 and connect to the start of 4) and the two remaining terminations will be your plate connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.