small "PA" top with IMG stageline SP 6/100PA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I've seen this driver sold as "midrange" or "bass/midrange". No doubt it is mostly a midrange due to the very limited excursion, but can it be used in a active 6liter "PA" top down to approx 120Hz?

I've tried moddeling in hornresp with a small BR port tuned around 100Hz and that gets some OK results at low volumes. Maybe I'm modeling it wrong. Have very little experience.

I'm asking because I might get them at a low price and the efficiency/power-handling looks appealing.

Any experience with this driver:
Data from www:

Very linear frequency response with high efficiency, perfect midrange speaker for powerful 3-way arrangements in the semiprofessional range.
Klang+Ton

"This is the big hit of the test." (10 midrange speakers of high efficiency with a Ø of 17cm and 20cm)

Impedance (Z) 8Ω
Resonant frequency (fs) 90Hz
Max. frequency range f3-8,000Hz
Music power 200WMAX
Power rating (P) 100WRMS
SPL (1W/1m) 94dB
Suspension compl. (Cms) 0.28mm/N
Moving mass (Mms) 11.2g
Mech. Q factor (Qms) 4.24
Electr. Q factor (Qes) 0.49
Total Q factor (Qts) 0.44
Equivalent volume (Vas) 8 l
DC resistance (Re) 6.7Ω
Force factor (BxL) 9.3Tm
Voice coil induct. (Le) 0.5mH
Voice coil diameter 40mm
Voice coil former Kapton
Linear excursion (XMAX) ¦0.75mm
Eff. cone area (Sd) 139cm2
Magnet weight 850g
Weight 2.4kg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I use 4 of these drivers/box for our band mini-PA. I can recommend them for voice in small venues. Their only disadvantage is - they are quite heavy.

Attachments

• done_IMG_4472.JPG
    done_IMG_4472.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 146
  • done_IMG_4473.JPG
    done_IMG_4473.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 132
Hi,

For what it's worth I have Eminence Alpha6, which is a similar driver, but with higher Xmax (3,5 mm) and higher Fs, in similarly sized (~7liter) ported boxes tuned to around 110 Hz. They go flat down to 200 Hz, with generous EQ they can go below 100 Hz -- with limited SPL, of course. As SP6/100PA has only 0,75 mm Xmax I wouldn't recommend to run them below 200 Hz, except maybe for background music.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms my suspicions. Now the next question could be: would a typical TH with a 10" be usable to approx 175hz if it were placed directly under a smaller speaker with the SP-6/100PA? I've simulated some TH's that gave full output (with some ripple) up to 200Hz)

Kind regards TroelsM

Now the next question could be: would a typical TH with a 10" be usable to approx 175hz if it were placed directly under a smaller speaker with the SP-6/100PA?
Troels,

I don't know if there is a "typical" tapped horn, but I have used a small TH loaded with an Eminence Kappa 10" under a 2x5" with tweeter top cabinet crossed at 200 Hz. Worked OK, though it needs the top cabinet delayed to sound best.

Art

Last edited:
Why not go with an 8" driver, like Eminence Beta 8, Fane Sovereign 8-225 or Celestion TF-0808 (there is a good-looking project with that one here)? All these can go down to 80 Hz or lower. In fact, I have compact PA bass cabs with Fane Sovereign 8-225, these have no problem with 45 Hz and can take a beating with a 750 W/channel amp all night long. Around 56 liters tuned to around 45 Hz, 2 drivers per cab.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.