Small Center Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no doubt it's a good speaker. I would try it with the AVR CC set to 'Large" to start with. If you find that's asking too much from the woofers then change it to 'Small'.

Because the receiver has no internal eq, the only question I have is about the placement of the CC and if it will have baffle step loss or not.

So if the CC is in a shelf or cubbyhole type situation, so in other as if it is almost mounted in a wall, then it won't experience the 6dB of baffle step loss in the low frequencies. If it sits in a spot that has some open space around it, then it will. The ZDT is designed with some baffle step compensation so it will sound best in the 2nd situation. If it will be in the 1st type of placement situation, it is likely to sound a little too heavy in the lower frequencies.

Do you maybe want to post a picture of where you are going to place it?

Ah. Well, the ZDT3's are 4ohm speakers with sensitivity up around 88dB with 2.83V/1m.

Your amp has lots of power for speakers that sensitive however I'm sorry to tell you that your AVR does not look like it will be happy with 4ohm speakers. It suggests the minimum should be 6ohm.

It's a 4ohm speaker. What can I tell you? No you can't change that.

Your AVR says 6ohm minimum. Try it with the 4ohms ZDT's and then if and when you fry it, buy a new one that will be happier with the lower impedance.

Otherwise, you are best off with 8ohm speakers. Unless - are you using a different amp than the Onkyo that can handle 4ohms? There's something big sitting there on top of the AVR.

Yes. That is true. And each speaker uses 2 of the RS180-8 drivers. These drivers are wired in parallel which changes the impedance for the combination to 4ohms. Look at the impedance graph below, the minimum impedance is ~3.2ohms which is what is called a 4ohm nominal speaker.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.