Small Aleph?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After Nelson Pass announced that passdiy.com will be up soon, I looked at the Aleph 3 again. Turns out my transformer provides the right rails but I think its VA is a big light.
The Aleph 3 draws about 2 amps per channel = 100 watts, or 200 watts total. I think the transformer should therefore be 400 VA.
Meanwhile, mine is just 288VA. What happens if I tweak the current down to (say) 1.44 amps per channel? Will the sun go supernova?
Starting the hunt now for large surplus computer grade caps...

paulb,

Is your transformer getting hot, after an hour or so?
Is there a large voltage drop between load and noload condition in your supply?

If you can answer no to both questions, your transformer should be OK for ALEPH3.
However I am using a 500VA tranny for my ALEPH3, almost no drop, very cool running. So if you can pick up a larger tranny it will be perfect.

He he, thanks but I haven't built the thing yet. I'm going to choose the amp design around the transformer I have because they're so expensive. And I'm cheap. And the power supply is already built, and I'm lazy, too.
I'll be biamping or triamping, so I don't need a whole lot of power. My assumption is that 288VA is not enough (for 30W per channel!) so I'm thinking about reducing the bias current by about 25% and living with less power output.
If, when I build this, the transformer gets hot I guess I'll reduce it some more.
My assumption is that you need a transformer of twice the VA as the DC power required.

Drat!
(Grumble, grumble...Paul's on to me...gonna have to figure out a new line...)
Actually, I've been working on an amp circuit, but not that one. Oh, and mastering the new software (Circad--couldn't hang with the 100 pin limit on the other one Geoff located [used over 200 pins on the amp circuit I've been fiddling with], although I'm sure it's a fine piece of code) that we were talking about in another thread.
How about: "The Swedish Bikini Team dropped by and wanted me to check the fit on their new outfits..."
Actually, the truth is that I've spent a lot of time stuffing my face with turkey and ham and lots of other good home cooking. And building the heat sinks for the second pair of Alephs (water cooled again), and...well, yeah, you know the line. Mea culpa.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.