Sliding Pots vs Circular Pots for an equalizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry but... you know audio gets a little too crazy when questions like this are asked.
Without a good jig, sliders are a PITA to this DIYer. It's virtually always circular, ie rotary, pots for me.

Point taken once again. On another note, please see the attached circuit. I will be using this inbetween my source and a glainclone amp (4780). What is the actual benefit of having separate pots for the 2 channels? I can just use dual pots. For me if I want to trim down the bass a bit, turning down 1 knob will do. What is more logical, 5 dual lin pots or 10 single lin pots?

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 95
Get conductive plastic pots from Noble. Best value for money AND dust can't get in (like it can in to similarly-priced sliding pots...)

You'll need to spend much more money on sliding pots... just to prevent dust from getting inside them, not to mention that they are all pretty much graphite pots.

Boky

Broadly speaking, sliders are more susceptible to noise due to dirt impregnation ...it's harder to "seal' a slot than a hole. Quality sliders are available, but cost more than rotaries. They cost more to implement also, since a hole is much easier to do in a panel than a rectangular space. If you have an operational need for sliders, (ie need for real-time adjustment with a lot of points where a visual representation of your settings is important) then use them, but if no specific need, I'd say use rotaries.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.