Slide POTS for AX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found these slide pots.. they are ALPS 60K linear taper slide pots, would they be good for use with audio/volume/trimming etc?... If so i think i'm going to buy them, they are quite cheap on wholesale... 700 for like 15 bucks or somet hing or other, its a whole case of them... any idears/input??

thanks

[edit:
if they are good, i'll probably buy a case, and sell them here for no profit if Grey and Nelson don't mind, really this should be under parts, but its here because i'm going to use them for the ax depending on your ugys intput...) btw i have doubts that they are alps, i've heard that alps are hq... and for 15 bucks thats awful rare i'd think]

GRollins said:
If you want sliders, then go for it. The circuit won't care whether the pot is rotary or slide or a bunch of relays switching fixed resistors. As long as the resistance is reasonable, you'll have a happy circuit.

Grey

Once I had a Tascam(tm) studio 8 , multitrack analogue recorder , which has been dismantled due to the extreme use of monolithic op amps in its circuitry and consequent poor sound quality .From it comes 2 nice Alps, 10k-linear-quadruple slide pots . Now one of it is at the output of my BOSOZ and I feel very comfortable with it .It tracks accettably well at low volume levels .
5k would have been favourite . :bawling:
The pic is coming soon.

Variac said:
yeah, the point here isn't that they are sliders, it's that they are 60 k , Isn't that a little high?

guess so, not really applicable for audio then? i dont think i'm even giong to worry about them, if someone else is interested in checking them out (btw i have doubts that they are ALPS... i cant find anythign similar to the pic on ebay on alps's site)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58164&item=3801642312

Jeez, 60k doesn't sound all that weird to me, but then I'm used to tube gear. People who get nervous about pots over 10k...I dunno, it just doesn't seem worth worrying about.
If they're linear, you can use a fixed resistor in parallel and get the poor thing to taper--not to mention bringing the resistance down to a lower value.
Loosen up. Think creative thoughts.

Grey

GRollins said:
Jeez, 60k doesn't sound all that weird to me, but then I'm used to tube gear. People who get nervous about pots over 10k...I dunno, it just doesn't seem worth worrying about.
If they're linear, you can use a fixed resistor in parallel and get the poor thing to taper--not to mention bringing the resistance down to a lower value.
Loosen up. Think creative thoughts.

Grey

And this is why we have people like Grey aboard :-D Hehe... To keep n00bs like me in line.. Well we'll see how the bidding goes, i doubt i'm going to win because i wont be around at the time of the end of the auction, oh well... was worth the mention for others

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, one cool thing about mixers is that you just have to design one module, then make as many as you want. I guess practically a module BOARD should be about 4 channels..

Rod the ESP guy was developing a high end mixer - I'm going to check it now

I guess we had better move this to another thread but for the moment we still are using AX gain devices ;)

10k log(?) quadruple slide pot

pic1 of the pot...

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.