Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Care anyone to explain to us (learners) the significance of Ft speed in relation to the next device in the signal path, considering audio signals can not reach this frequency level and its corresponding harmonics?

I don't understand your question.

fT is frequency where hFE of BJT is 1. Ideally, hFE don't change if frequency change. That's what we want :D.

^sorry for the out of topic question. i just need a simple answer like how does it affect the operation stability of an amplifier, or sound quality if the pre-driver, driver, output transistor configuration does not follow an Ft order like the one mentioned above considering audio signals and its harmonics are far too low from the lowest Ft specs (30 MHz) among the given transistors?

Hi thimios, can you show us the schematic of your cfa-x with complete modifed values of compensation caps and feedback resistors? I am going to iterate this build soon. My build is posted in our local forum.

SLEWMASTER Build
Here is the modified CFA-X V1.2 but be careful ,my power supply is +/-50V!

Attachments

• CFA V 1.2 MOD.JPG
    CFA V 1.2 MOD.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 601
^sorry for the out of topic question. i just need a simple answer like how does it affect the operation stability of an amplifier, or sound quality if the pre-driver, driver, output transistor configuration does not follow an Ft order like the one mentioned above considering audio signals and its harmonics are far too low from the lowest Ft specs (30 MHz) among the given transistors?

there is no simple answer, why do you think Japanese amps used semicons with high fT's and hFE's that doesn't droop too much with current?

you can run simulations and try using trannies that are low fT's and low hFE's and see what happpens....

next? Improved Current-Feedback amp circuit topology:

View attachment 413174

THx-RNMarsh

The B-C leakage of the transistors will be dominant in the distortion of this circuit. It seems like a lot of extra transistors for not much gain when you consider this. It could be improved, but it would have a lot of transistors. It could be a more-transistors-less-resistors approach.

I would start with Dado's GainWire where I helped to lower the B-C leakage using Baxandall-cascoded current mirrors.

The B-C leakage of the transistors will be dominant in the distortion of this circuit. It seems like a lot of extra transistors for not much gain when you consider this. It could be improved, but it would have a lot of transistors. It could be a more-transistors-less-resistors approach.

I would start with Dado's GainWire where I helped to lower the B-C leakage using Baxandall-cascoded current mirrors.

And this is the PCB, look here.

Attachments

• PCB-1-1-back.JPG
    PCB-1-1-back.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 546