Slew Rate and Ribbons

Amplifier slew rates are at least 5x higher than needed to reproduce a 20KHz sine wave at full power. This is to avoid slew-rate distortion.

Music has very little high-frequency energy.

If you are considering Magnepans, the most important amplifier attributes are the ability to drive 4 ohms and a low output impedance.
Ed

Reactions: 1 user
Amplifier slew rates are at least 5x higher than needed to reproduce a 20KHz sine wave at full power. This is to avoid slew-rate distortion.

Music has very little high-frequency energy.

If you are considering Magnepans, the most important amplifier attributes are the ability to drive 4 ohms and a low output impedance.
Ed
Actually I recently acquired a set of RAAL 70-20s from another member here (shoutout to @studiotech ) and am going to drive them actively. Just while surfing the web I started to look at electrostatic headphone amplifiers and noticed one had the lme49600 in the output stage. Just got me thinking since I'm using a diaphragm with much higher transient response than your typical cone that a higher slew rate would be beneficial.

As an aside I got a chance to try a set of magnepans a little while ago. They're delightful plain and simple. The shocking part is they actually have a set for only 1k. That's bonkers lol

Reactions: 1 user
In the headphone amplifier in LME49600 datasheet figure 28, the overall slew rate is set by the op-amp.

Slew rate is a consequence of a constant current source charging a capacitor. The capacitor's purpose is frequency compensation.
Ed
Ah I see. So if high slew rate is so beneficial, why is it not used more often? I usually only see really high slew rate in things like RF and instrumentation. That's why I was surprised by the LME49600