Skinning capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cuibono said:

Black body radiation (?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

This is why wood burning stoves are black, I think...
:)

Interesting theory, but the black color of the wood stoves are a function of the cast iron more than a color preference.

As for the black body radiator theory, I'm not sure how changing the VISIBLE color would impact what I assume to be IR emission (if we are talking about radiators). Maybe you know something about the paint that I don't, but I can't see how changing the visible color (from ~25,000 to ~14,000 wavenumbers) would affect the emissive properties of a material in the infrared (which I am calling ~500 to 10,000 wavenumbers for the sake of argument)

Still, nice linguistic connection if nothing else! :D

The black color of wood stoves is due to a substance called stove black that is used to make them uniformly black. It protects them from rust. You can buy the stuff at the store to apply to your wood stove as required to hide unsightly rust.

I have heard that black shoes are black in order to radiate heat more efficiently and keep your feet more comfortable...

I_F

SKIN OFF?

Well,I do not understand why you want to take the "skin" off?.(they are inside the chassis)nobody is going to open the chassis and see the "UGLY" capacitors.if you really do not like the "UGLY"skin of the capacitors,get some "NICE" spray paint and paint it to your liking!.but in the future when you get "old" and do not remember "what kind of capacitor you used", do not blame nobody but your self...I am using BLACK GATE capacitors,and if I could put them outside to show them ,I would do it!.but I would never,I said never skin off a capacitor no even the cheapest electrolytic capacitors...WHAT FOR?...NO RESON...
But again,this is my opinion.:headbash:

I've skinned

Hello all, just seen this and wanted to add. I've skinned PSU smoothers and coupling caps and have heard a tiny difference. I then invited my wife and cousin to listen, blindly, and they too noticed a difference. I also did my loudspeaker crossovers and gained more airiness.

Okay, theory. Apparently cutting off the jackets release the tension that the sleeve has on the body, allow electrons to move around more easily . This explains airiness. I would say a week later, you move on to the next tweak, because it still sounds like it could be improved.

I used a permanent fine tipped marker to write values on.

Cheers iUSERTLO72p:)

Re: I've skinned

iUSERTLO72p said:
Hello all, just seen this and wanted to add. I've skinned PSU smoothers and coupling caps and have heard a tiny difference. I then invited my wife and cousin to listen, blindly, and they too noticed a difference. I also did my loudspeaker crossovers and gained more airiness.

Okay, theory. Apparently cutting off the jackets release the tension that the sleeve has on the body, allow electrons to move around more easily . This explains airiness. I would say a week later, you move on to the next tweak, because it still sounds like it could be improved.

I used a permanent fine tipped marker to write values on.

Cheers iUSERTLO72p:)

Yeah electrons hate to travel through a narrowing!
:smash: :smash: :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.