Skin Effect in Wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe that, given that rarely a wire from amp to spk exceeds 5m, currents are below 10Amp, and frequencies above 5KHz are of little amplitude comparing to lower one; then skin or proxi effects are of very low importance for us. It is very difficult to me to accept that a magnetic tape can enhance the audio quality in such a notable amount. I must also recognize that I haven't musical ears, I can distinguish between some amounts of distortion, but I'm unable to differentiate between La 440 or 432.

I used to repair valve amplifiers as a sideline. Once a customer came to collect his repaired amp. I always used to demo, to show the repair was done. He was very pleased, and a I disconnected the speaker cables he asked what brand they were. I told him that I'd made them myself and he was astonished "you should market the 'cause that sound fantastic!". "No" I said, "they are just low resistance pieces of wire with good quality terminations." He refused to believe there wasn't some kind of magic involved.

I still believe that, given that rarely a wire from amp to spk exceeds 5m, currents are below 10Amp, and frequencies above 5KHz are of little amplitude comparing to lower one; then skin or proxi effects are of very low importance for us. It is very difficult to me to accept that a magnetic tape can enhance the audio quality in such a notable amount. I must also recognize that I haven't musical ears, I can distinguish between some amounts of distortion, but I'm unable to differentiate between La 440 or 432.

We are in violent agreement.

Speaker cables as transmission lines was way more fun to argue about because there was nothing to argue about.:D

Indeed, twas fun. :D

jn

My take on skin depth. Quick (very) drawing of current densities for a square wave, many harmonics, from skin effect. Like decreasing the freq. of a low pass filter as you get closer to the center. And makes no difference for audIo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
For the fun I replaced my speaker cables. From calculations about the dumping factor, I found I could gain a little bit.
So I ordered 10 meter of 2 x 2.5mm2 cable.
So thick, I had a hard time to shove them in the amp's terminals. Glad I did not go for 2 x 4mm2...
Putting back on power, I had only one of the two channels working.....:mad:
I cursed, I had fried an amp going at a too low resistance, a totally stupid idea. I messed for a while, opening the amp for some blown fuse. This shows how strong placebo effect can be.
Finally that was just a bad contact in a speaker terminal. :happy1:

Then, there was absolutely no audible difference from the old speaker wires made from electric lamp cord....Even thinking about the improved dumping factor, well, here placebo effect had failed.
And I had good :D wires: Tin coated multi brand copper.
May be I went wrong not adjusting the right and left for accurate equal lengh :) but making a shorter one for the closer speaker.

Anway, I like their stiffness and look, the transparent isulation makes the wires inside look thicker.:happy1:

Unless you had done a shortcircuit in the far end of the speaker's wire (Looking from the amp), using a large diameter wire isn't a reason to blown a fuse.

It is like you blown house fuse by putting 4mm² to the coffee machine, or desk lamp.

It may surely, be another cause. Like a short circuit or a too ow speaker impedance.

My take on skin depth. Quick (very) drawing of current densities for a square wave, many harmonics, from skin effect. Like decreasing the freq. of a low pass filter as you get closer to the center. And makes no difference for audIo.
It is a reasonable assumption.

The only place I can think is different, if the entire wire is engaged in the bottom frequency, then the current density at the surface cannot have a pure square wave current vs time as not all the lf current is there.. My take would be the density at the surface might look more high pass.

Course, since I can no longer do that math, and cannot think of any possible way of measuring it, I'm happy to just wave my hands about...:D

jn

If you think of the wire cross section as that wiki page depicted, note the currents in the conductor that are circulating from outer to inner as a torus.

Those currents are internal local currents that are created by the rate of change of magnetic field in the wire generated by the axial currents. When the total axial current is rising very fast, those toroidal currents will subtract in the center, add at the edge. The overall current profile is supressed at the core, enhanced at the edge, and gives the current profile we identify as skinning.
At any point in time, the current profile is dependent on how fast it changes, and what direction it is changing to with respect to the total current.

Like my washing machine on spin? Time for a musical interlude..... YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.