SKA, ASKA and LifeForce VS a commercially available amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not tried any except the SKA. I literally finished a SKPre, GB150S project late last night. However I am delighted with the performance of the kit so far. The amp just stays out of the music and let's you hear your source which is what I like.

It was all fairly easy to build for a diy newbie like me.

Cheers

Iain

As is often the case the answers to your question will be very subjective. This is the nature of choice.

The SKA has been singing away happily in my living room for some time and although its been a bumpy ride to get a pre to suit, when it sang it sang. Its a great amplifier at a nice price.

Now at the risk of upsetting some, the AKSA is a greater amplifier at an even nicer price. The AKSA adds a tangible human component to music that no other amplifier I've listened to has done. Many times I've read claims of how a component has placed musicians into the room, the AKSA however, often takes you to the show.

Its music making ability is an achievement Hugh is to be proud of. Listening doesn't lure you into thinking of frequencies, imaging, THD and so on, leave that to the designers. What you do is enjoy the music - fatigue free - which can be as emotional as it is exciting. Its the only SS amplifier that has caused my significant other to get goosebumps (listening to Eva Cassidy) and the only amplifier I've had that treats all music we enjoy with respect.

If you want to build an amplifier only once I can wholeheartedly recommend the AKSA. Mind you the other folks in the Aspen camp may well recommend the LF ;)

Hi tinitus

I am still developing the NX150 and NX400NL amplifiers and I have also designed a Sub- Amp version of the NX400NL just recently and Boyd of www.totalrecoil.com.au has ordered 20 of them to be used in his latest surround sound system he is releasing soon.
The NX150 and NX400NL modules have now matured into a excellent sounding amplifier.

I recently sold 15 x NX400NL modules and 5 NX500NL amplifier modules to Chris Pelonis Acoustics in CA www.pelonissound.com
Chris will be releasing his new signature series of amplifiers based on my amplifier modules.
Chris Pelonis is an award winning acoustics engineer, He not only
designs and builts high end recording studios but does a real nice Loudspeaker as well. Checkout his web site his PSS110P loudspeakers are worth a real close look.

The 2kw designs are at this point in time are just play things.
or though I have just supplied Chris with a sample version of this design for him to play with. 1200 watt Grounded Bridge Amplifier.
He has got a huge sub that needs at least 1kw to drive it.

I will still be designing smaller amplifiers as the market demands....;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have built 40watt Mirand(Sonny) monoamps with only one transistor pair(MJL 21193/21194) - each with custom 500watt UI-core trafos and 2x15.000uF Jensen 4-pole and special switch diodes and big heatsinks
I have never had nor heard better amps - in 1ohm load they get hot, but can manage full power in 2ohm with no sweat:cool:

I also have a pair of 38V-2kw UIcore trafos, huge heatsinks, 8 pairs of MJL 21193/94 and enough switch diodes, but I cant make up my mind about which amp I will build :confused: but right now I am considering DeltaAudio(JanDupont)

macka said:

I thought the SKA was an exceptional class A/B amp until I switch on the X250.5. The X250.5 is simply on a different level of listener experience. It simple came down to the delivery of the attitude of musicians and the natural of timbre of individual musical instruments.

The Pass Labs X250.5 idles at 350W so it's not a pure class A/B amp.
The SKA idles at around 30W. I'm building an SKA to at least
use in the hot summer. Will have to see how close it comes to class A
sound.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Like a few others in this thread I tried out some popular and well respected kitsets.

The AKSA 55N+ is quite good and an easy choice to live with. There's is nothing wrong with the sound but I feel the midrange is bit overblown but nicely presented. I considered it lesser value for money compared to some alternatives. If the sound had suited me and my setup more then this would obviously be a different story. The aftersales support is good and I think that's important with kitsets for people relatively inexperienced(me).

The SKA amps are one of the best I've heard. To date I've bought four GB150 and twelve GB300 - obviously these suit my tastes almost perfectly. You never feel that you hear the amplifier itself but instead only the music. I have exceptionally good speakers that really need quality amplification. You can easily hear just how good the GB300's are through these. The price is the biggest bonus, they are far and away the best value kitset around IMO. Like AKSA, the owner of SKA offers good aftersales support for any problems or question you might have.

There have been others such as a couple of chipamps and the Aussieamps NX150 and again these were quite enjoyable in their own way.

I suggest you build up a couple of the cheaper options first just to get your bearings and then move on from there. No one amp is universally 'the best' so try to listen to as many as you can to find where your preferences lie.

Shin wrote:
Like a few others in this thread I tried out some popular and well respected kitsets.
like me.
The AKSA 55N+ is quite good and an easy choice to live with. There's is nothing wrong with the sound
I fully agree.
but I feel the midrange is bit overblown but nicely presented.
I fully agree. To my ears, here is the main difference between the SKA and, for example, the AKSA 55 n+ and the LCaudio mileniumXP I heard: at first view the uppermid of the SKA could sound restricted, thus able to better suit harsh sounding CDs, but in fact it doesn't lose any details in this range; as a result, doesn't verity stay in the SKA field?
I have exceptionally good speakers
I fully disagree (joke inside, Shin does understand):) ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.