SIT THF-51S vs 45

Hi

I own a pair of THF-51S but at the moment I’ve got the itch to build a small SET using a 45 output tube. I own a 6B4G GSG but often wonder about the sound of the 45.
Before I go ahead and invest in a pair of 45 and driver I’d like to know if anyone has ever compared a SIT (VFET) with a 45 SET.
I’m aware that the 45 can only deliver a few Watt vs the SIT.

Thanks for your time.
Eric

Reactions: 1 user
the 45 or the Vfet don't have a particular sound , for the 45 it depends of the tube driver and outptut transformer and for the Vftet in SET mode , if it is resisort , inductor or transistor loading . you can also build a VFet set amplifier with an output transformer
1716749652751.png

I reverse engineered my Korneff 45 amp and build a super premium version. The best caps and resistors, Low IMD silver secondary Electra-Print outputs, and EML ST and Globe 45s along with a vast array of NOS 45s and many different pairs of 6SN7/VT-231 drivers and EMS and NOS rectifiers.

My SIT-3 bests this amp in all respects and also offers extra headroom with my efficient Altec 19. The 45 amp may have a slightly more luscious midrange...maybe...possibly...sometimes.

I'm guessing you'd have to build an all-out assault DHT 45 amp to compete with the SIT-3 and probably the other SIT amp projects written about here. That could be a very expensive proposition. I don't mean to discourage you from a tube build and I don't regret my 45 project.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a pair of the Tokin THF-51S SITs too. I am curious what circuit with these transistors would rival a 45 SET amp?

To date, I’ll built the Pass DIY Sony VFET push-pull amp and Pass DIY Aleph J SE amp. Both are awesome amps and I love them both, even in comparison to my rebuilt McIntosh MC 240 push-pull tube amp. I bought the Tokin’s when Nelson Pass advised us to get at least a pair for an SIT project he planned to design at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a SET 45 and it is not one of my favorite SET amps. I have a number of them along with most of the FW clones. I prefer the sound of my SET300B over all my amps. A SS V-fet amp, I have both the PP and SE V-fets, is really close. Close enough to not be concerned about which is better. Better would depend on individual preference. Build a SET 300B instead if you are into tubes. Nelson compares the SIT-1 and SIT-2 to the SET 300B for a reason. SET 300B sound in SS.

Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on your choice of music and listening level on whether you will be satisfied with a SET-45 tube amplifier. What I found being said about a SET 45 amp over the years is that it supposedly sounds more accurate reproducing instruments than many other amps. Whether true or not I have no idea not knowing how for an example how a violin is supposed to sound. Having many amplifiers I have found I need only a few watts with speakers 90db efficient or better. I love horns and SET amplifiers with the kind of music I enjoy. Many of the FW clones will be plenty close enough in SS to not make that much difference unless you are a reviewer who cares more about reviewing equipement than the music. Been there, done that. Nelson has said it best when comparing active devices. Very few SS transistors have curves like a triode tube but the ones that do will sound very much like a triode tube. Mosfets sound more like a pentode. Then there are many that prefer BJT output transistor sound best. What you like others may say sound awful to them.

Reactions: 1 users