Singapore shopping trip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
My oldest son will be in Singapore soon and he has offered to do some shopping for me. I don't have the foggiest idea if the price savings on electronic components are worth sending him out of his way. Can someone shed some light on the matter? I'm initially most interested in Caps, resistors, FETs, transformers, heatsinks and full-range drivers.

thanks for your time,
7/10

Probably not much. I was there a couple of times about 2 years back and components and electronics were similar if not more expensive than in Australia. And, considering we are envious of the prices in the US, you probably won't gain much.

There's an interesting "all the audiphile you could ever want" at:
1 Coleman Street,
#03-35, The Adelphi,
Singapore 179803
which is worth a visit if he's into hi-fi.

There are a couple of places (that I can't remember right now) that are electronics 'super-stores', but the value is more in the choice not the cost.

My experience only, mind you...

One caveat, if you spend more than a certain amount, then you can get a refund of the 15% sales tax (or VAT, I can't remember again) when you go back through the airport...

7/10,

No worries. I'd actually like to find that I'm wrong on this - as our company has an office there and it would be good to be able to stock up if I'm over there again.

One of the electronics centres is just opposite the address I gave (memory came back a little after my first coffee). So he'd be able to go in there to see what's available. He also might be able to strike up a conversation with one or more of the customers to find out if there's any other places to buy cheap components. The sales people mostly work on commission, so it's not in their interest to be helpful - but they can be very helpful with stuff they have in stock.

Maybe slightly better prices here for consumer electronics.
I get most of my diy bits from the local Farnell (Newark).
The Singdollar is strong against the USD at the moment...

1. Adelphi Shopping Centre - North Bridge Road.
The whole complex. Hi-fi boutiques.

2. Burlington Square - Bencoolen Street.
Ground floor. 2 diy audio kit shops for parts you specified.

3. Sim Lim Square - Bencoolen Street
Computers/Consumer Electronics

4. Sim Lim Tower - Diagonally opposite Sim Lim Square.
General Electronics Parts.

All are in town centre. 2,3,4 are close together. 1 is about 2-3 miles away.

HTH

cromodora said:
1. Adelphi Shopping Centre - North Bridge Road.
The whole complex. Hi-fi boutiques.

2. Burlington Square - Bencoolen Street.
Ground floor. 2 diy audio kit shops for parts you specified.

3. Sim Lim Square - Bencoolen Street
Computers/Consumer Electronics

4. Sim Lim Tower - Diagonally opposite Sim Lim Square.
General Electronics Parts.

Damn! Went to 1, 3 & 4 when I was there, but didn't know about 2. Will have to hassle for a few weeks over there again...

It's always tempting to buy something when travelling.

In your particular case it's likely cheaper to spend your dollars at home, seeing they can't buy much anywhere else. Hong Kong probably being the only exception.

This morning i had a look at Agon and was shocked at how cheap high-end audio has become in any currency but dollars. No point to diy any more :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.