Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I have also an MC cart with 2mV output, If i fit this one do I need to change the Gain set-up again i.e. add transistors, change resistor values etc. or is it simply flipping those dip switches?

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 231
The foam surround seems to have held well. Lived in dry climate room with grills on blocking direct sunlight?

With the age of the speakers you won't believe the drivers are still looks brand new. I traded my Paradigm and get this one. Well my friend is happy with my Paradigm and I'm happy with his Unity audio :D;)

PS:
The mid and woofer fitted with rubber surround no signs of crack or imperfection it's still intact.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have also an MC cart with 2mV output, If i fit this one do I need to change the Gain set-up again i.e. add transistors, change resistor values etc. or is it simply flipping those dip switches?

Optimal would be the 43dB high MC mode build but in the 40dB MM now the 2mV is still playable especially if there is some gain in the line level preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They wouldn't have exceeded their max voltage but dissipation could have been stronger in the output stage ones. Look there first. DMM in Ohm mode should not show any as a short from its D to S pin (when powered down) else its damaged. 30-50 Ohm is more likely for the K170BLs and 10-30 Ohm for the K369BLs. Check also that there is continuity from your input RCA to the K369's gate. So to make sure its not in the wiring.

The 369 has the little heatsink in it so that would have helped with the dissipation figure.

I have continuity from rca in to 369 gate. And the resistances are in the ballpark you mentioned for both the 369 and 170's. ( q4, q5, q6)

I also have around 10V just before C4 so there is DC offset before the putput capacitor.

Last edited:
I swaped both channels and the problem appeared on the other speaker.

All the cables are good, as well as the preamp and amp.

I then connected the phono stage to the turntable and no cables on the output. Started playing a record and got:

Good board: variable mV AC between .1 and .4 V
Bad board: ~8V AC no variation.

I finally found the problem and quite a simple and stupid one I should have checked earlier. A bad solder joint on the output rca. Old copper wire with oxidation... new wire and now I have sound coming out of both channels!
Wiring is for testing purposes only. I have some background noise without any music playing which is expectable at this moment.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Complimentary picture of my 2 days old pass labs F4! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: