Simplistic NJFET RIAA

If you got some extra cash to spare this period, a set of ClarityCap MR blue ones complimenting the PCB color kinda, should be very good value regarding other much dearer options. And there is 0.047uF value for C3 in those.

If 0.047uF and 0.1uF are the extreme I might settle for something in between. I will test first with cheaper options. 20£ a piece per channel is to much if one is uncertain of what value fits ones taste...

Regards

Last edited:
4.99 ohms (you suggested that I use 5.1, but I had some trouble getting nice resistors in that value, and the Idss of the FET's is 11.55 mA).
Two 10r in parallel equals 5r.
If you really need 4r99 then add a third parallel resistor. Try 2k7 or 2k4. They should get you close enough, if the 10r are better than 0.02%

or 5r1 ||240r ~= 4r99

Last edited:
Two 10r in parallel equals 5r.
If you really need 4r99 then add a third parallel resistor. Try 2k7 or 2k4. They should get you close enough, if the 10r are better than 0.02%

or 5r1 ||240r ~= 4r99

If you look at the chart in the build guide, for a detailed with Idss of 11mA R2 should be 3R9, for 12mA it should be 5R1. My fets measure 11.55mA. I was initially going to interpolate to 4R7, but Salas suggested that I use 5R1. I couldn't find any "nice" resistors in that value, but found some 4R99 with a low temporary, so used those.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those Lenco are capable of good results when maintained/upgraded, I don't know if they necessarily need a better arm or how their original arms behave when fully restored though. If there is good resolution and depth of field those will be signs that the arm is free riding enough.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Off to a very good start then. Congratulations. Always trust a scale for verifying VTF and your ears for verifying anti-skate than many arms setting marks. Experiments with those and geometry can lift the performance quite audibly when everything comes to lock properly together.

Off to a very good start then. Congratulations. Always trust a scale for verifying VTF and your ears for verifying anti-skate than many arms setting marks. Experiments with those and geometry can lift the performance quite audibly when everything comes to lock properly together.

How do you test anti-skate? I have a mark (engraved ring) for VTA on my arm, but anti-skate is set per my cartage weight. Is any visual test available for that? I did see some video on Youtube when guy used blanket vinyl and arm should stay still (not to move in or out). This is right anti-skate in his perspective. Please share with your opinion.

How do you test anti-skate? I have a mark (engraved ring) for VTA on my arm, but anti-skate is set per my cartage weight. Is any visual test available for that? I did see some video on Youtube when guy used blanket vinyl and arm should stay still (not to move in or out). This is right anti-skate in his perspective. Please share with your opinion.

Skating force is proportional to frictional drag on the stylus. Setting anti-skate on a blank disk will get you close (and probably close enough) but the drag is much lower than playing a modulated groove. So the ideal setting is going to be a little higher than what you find getting stasis on a blank disk. I think the ideal way is to use a test record. (Note: I don't have a test record :( ) There are some with increasingly modulated tracks at a fixed frequency, and you adjust the antiskate (and VTF) to get the lowest distortion you can in both channels on the most heavily modulated grooves, or at least get the same distortion in both channels when the tracking limit is reached. Even more ideally, use a test record with a stereo signal, say 5cm/s @ 1KHz, and use a scope to display the output. Adjust antiskate to get cleanest waveform and equal amplitude between channels. (Of course, channel balance of cartridge output is never perfect to begin with, so matching level might increase distortion in one channel!)

Of course, this also means that the skating force we are trying to negate changes with modulation level, and probably also with different vinyl formulations, so there is no "perfect" antiskate setting. A nice classical recording, optimized for playback time, might be cut at a fairly low modulation level; other records might be cut "hot" and really push the limits of the cartridge, and also therefore increase skating force.

Older European tonearms had anti-skate scales for spherical and elliptical styli, both dry and wet. I've never seen a "wet" LP playback system, but it makes some sense! (Reduced friction, better tracking, damping of the stylus/vinyl resonance.)

FedEx!

The capacitors I have been waiting for were shipped by Mouser Wednesday night. At 2PM this afternoon FedEx tried to deliver but I wasn't home (some of us work for a living). Fine, they left a card that said I could pick up the parcel at their downtown location between 8PM and 10PM. When I got there at 8 they told me the parcel wasn't there, it was at their suburban warehouse which was already closed for the entire weekend! :mad: So I could either ask them to try to deliver again on Monday, when I will be at work, or ask them (yeah, "ask" them) to have the item at the downtown location by Monday evening.

I gave them a call when I got home and told the nice lady that I wanted to pick up my parcel, which was supposed to be downtown at 8PM, tomorrow afternoon. She said she didn't think that was possible since the warehouse was closed for the weekend. I explained that I had paid for priority shipping, the item was supposed to be available for pickup tonight, and surely someone has a key to the warehouse and could get my parcel to the correct location sometime tomorrow morning! She took some additional details and agreed to call the manager of the warehouse facility and put the matter in his hands.

We will see whether it was worth the phone call, but at least "Tina" listened, understood, and made an effort. If nothing comes of it, I will let Mouser know what a sh***y job FedEx did delivering.

Sorry for the OT rant, I was really hoping to finish these circuit boards this weekend!