Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I already knew about FS but I usually call it RF (Resonant Freq) I own a RD80 for more than 30 years now so I am quite at ease with the calculations but know that subjective opinions are very important.

It is strange but the DL160 sings with the very low mass SME3009. With the Rega it sounds light.

I already have the protractor from Manu :)

SME3009 6.5 or 9.5 arm mass? please specify also the pivot to spindle distance in mm?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would roughly double or even triple the figure of dynamic compliance given by Denon for purpose of doing static 10Hz calculations.

In mine case more than triple: 5 x 3 = 15 and I measured 17.5...

In Rcruz case RB300 + DL160 is more than triple 10 x 3 = 30 not do the perfect match for FS because compliance till maximum 27 will be optimum but from 28 to 36 good & from 37 to 50 bad. For SME 3009 with an effective mass of 6.5g match optimum with compliances at 10hz from 17 to 39 so is possible a better match than the RB300 & if the effecive mass SME3009 is 9.5 compliances from 14 to 30 match optimum. Resuming the best combo will be SME3009 arm mass 6.5g

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very possible. If you take the Fs outcome with a known mass arm to reverse find the compliance, you should weigh the cart, the mounting screws and nuts, and add them all together. In my case, either the arm's active mass is heavier than 5.5g or the cart is heavier than 8.5g + 1g mounting. Else its 23mm/N. Because 8.5Hz I see on FFT for sure.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I just read some prior posts and Yes, I am using a 6.5g effective mass arm (The one made of alu with fixed head-s.

Incredible that the stiff cantilever of the DL160 has so much predicted compliance.

I am very curious, but if you are right, that explains why it sings so much better with the SME.

What about using a Benz ACE M with the Rega... do you think it is better suited than in the SME ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just read some prior posts and Yes, I am using a 6.5g effective mass arm (The one made of alu with fixed head-s.

Incredible that the stiff cantilever of the DL160 has so much predicted compliance.

I am very curious, but if you are right, that explains why it sings so much better with the SME.

What about using a Benz ACE M with the Rega... do you think it is better suited than in the SME ?

I agree with Salas,

Benz Micro ACE Med 8.8gr + 0.5gr mounting hardware & compliance 15 + REGA RB300 result a FS of 9Hz (optimum 9Hz)

Benz Micro ACE Med (Series III) only change the compliance 14 + REGA RB300 result a FS of 9.32Hz (optimum 9Hz) in this case mine advice is better use 1gr mounting hardware to get FS 9.21 more near the optimum FS.

SME3009+Benz Micro ACE Med + mounting hardware 0.5gr results a FS 10.33Hz with 1gr mounting FS 10.17Hz (optimum 10Hz) also better 1gr mounting hardware.

SME3009+Benz Micro ACE Med (Series III) +0.5gr FS 10.69Hz with 1gr FS 10.53Hz (optimum 10Hz) also better 1gr mounting

As you can see best combo REGA RB300 + Benz Micro ACE Med FS 9Hz the optimum including a mounting hardware don't exceed 0.5gr

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

Why do you state optimum FS as 9Hz for the rega and 10Hz for the SME ?

My ACE is first generation with 15 compliance.

I am using some extra weight in the head of the SME with the benz cart. In this case the weight works wonders.

Hi Franz
You should see this other thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ntz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1455.html#post2210989
It grew this size because we allow some interesting off topic :)

Last edited:
O.K. O.K.

I know this Marantz CD thread and was also part of it :D

Back to phono pre:

I try to get also my first "Le Pacifique" built (built about two years ago) to perfect operation for a Denon DL160.

Salas simulated for me the needed modification:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But, surprize surprize: the gain is ways to high!

I can use it with the DL103R but with the DL160 the thing is clipping.

I replaced on the second stage the 3k9 by 3k3: not big change.

Next I'll try to slow down the circuit with 22R source resistors.

Franz

..... the gain is ways to high!

I can use it with the DL103R but with the DL160 the thing is clipping.
one normally aims for an overload overhead of >=30dB for a phono cartridge source.

If your MC has a 0.5mV output for 5cm/s then with +46dB gain that becomes an output of 100mV.
The minimum overload level should be at least +30dB above this reference level. This is clipping level >=3.2Vac.
A +24Vdc supply should allow about 6Vac to 8Vac for the clipping level.
That would give ~+30dB overhead for a 1mVac @ 5cm/s ref level.

I don't understand why you should hear clipping from an MC cart.

Andrew

You are right!

But I guess, the gain was about 60dB and not 46dB.

Still within the range, even with 1.6mV resulting in 1.6VAC.

Maybe the line-input of the following amp was overdriven by the high voltage?

Something else must be wrong as the gain was definitely too high.

Maybe the simulation, maybe my stripeboard build.

I guess the second one is true :confused:

After adding 22R to the sources, one channel is oscillating.

I will set this subproject on ice now, as I real hate such deadlocks.

Continue with the shunt regulated supply...

Franz

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

Why do you state optimum FS as 9Hz for the rega and 10Hz for the SME ?

My ACE is first generation with 15 compliance.

I am using some extra weight in the head of the SME with the benz cart. In this case the weight works wonders.

Hi Franz
You should see this other thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ntz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1455.html#post2210989
It grew this size because we allow some interesting off topic :)

Using the same vinylengine you used, I explain for example the SME3009+Ben Ace Med how can do to get it:

1st go here Cartridge Resonance Evaluator
put the tonearm effective mass & now you know the best resonant points for your arm, print.

2nd go here Cartridge Database Tools
now you know the FS of your combo cart+arm

3rd take the printed generic best resonant points for your arm & look for crossing your cart compliance with your cart + mounting hardware total mass so you can look for 8.8gr cart + 0.5 or 1gr = 9.3gr or 9.8gr, 9g or 10g both 10Hz for a compliance of 15

Also can be used to know your real compliance if you know your real FS, fro example mine case for Denon DL103R+Ekos is:

Denon + mountin hardware 9gr
Measured compliance 8.5Hz

Compliance between 17-18 = 17.5Hz

Another good engine for FS & more detailed explanation is here:
http://www.mh-audio.nl/MySystem/RF.asp

Same web have an interesting engine to calculate RIAA:
http://www.mh-audio.nl/CalculateRIAA.asp

Waiting than help.

Last edited: