Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There is still room for improvement but now I can predict the effect of very slight changes in the riaa eq components without the need for long listening periods.

IMO the correct values are much more important than the quality of the components (A finetuned riaa with silmic sounds much more spacious than a poorly tuned one with fullon BG build). For example you can easily loose mid freq detail just by an error of 40ohm on R4(6k8r) and you can loose bass snap by an error of 50p on C2 (47n))

VTA changes are more effective now.... I did not have the oportunity to try another preamp but I have now the same degree of sumptuousness in all my three different gain builds.

I believe you, a friend bought a very expensive TT the VPI HRX full but the setup was horrible & the sound too, now after a very good setup between the SME V & the TT sounds nice, like VTA some degrees more or less changing all the sound to well or to bad & after to complicatd more the things every LP needs a special VTA, so to become fool....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I simulated changes part by part using Spice, than I listened to the effect of each change (iron in hand) and recorded it in the correspondent graph.

That is how I could "visualize" the effect of each component alone.

Than I realized there are some constants that relate the several components in pairs and my actual approach is somehow different:

1st - measure all components (and match pairs)
2nd - calculate the minimum error using the spreadsheet
3rd - build a test board with slack in the caps so you can trim just by adding new ones (best start with 46n and 15n)
4rd - using shunts, experiment with small valued caps to finetune.

I consider myself experienced now :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK by me Ricardo. I am not opposing, since the values you suggest don't show significant deviation from Lipshitz core values I give. I have simulated one of your suggestions to Merlin. Graphically they show very subtle changes to my original curve's trend. Nothing technically untoward. Of course he has another system than yours and mainly different speakers and room. So you will get feedback etc.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
OK by me Ricardo. I am not opposing, since the values you suggest don't show significant deviation from Lipshitz core values I give. I have simulated one of your suggestions to Merlin. Graphically they show very subtle changes to my original curve's trend. Of course he has another system than yours and mainly different speakers and room. So you will get feedback etc.

Ok

Thank you Salas..... I must be sure my tech works for all... that is why I am pushing the envelope so far.

LU1014D jfet output circuit?

So far most of what i have read in the forums using jfets, uses them as low noise drivers and preamps. Does anyone know of circuits which would work using , for example, LU1014D jfets in the OUTPUT stage? I ask this becuase im interested in comparing the power jfet output amp sound with the small low voltage tube amps I have made using 12k5 tubes, etc. I could build and tweak one on my own, but i wanted to save time on that project. Something like an output cascode, or ccs load, or transformer coupled circuit? Thanks much.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Great! Leave them in. Now Ricardo will have a base. 3.3K sharp R1 load resistor for each channel. Its very important, because it reflects the output impedance of first stage. Now if you give it a listen, I expect it to be more focused. For the time being if you feel it is on the soft side too, take the extra caps out of C3's base value, it will pick up in the high mids and treble, until you will do your precise values and maybe resistor types fix with Ricardo. Let me know if it got better.

Yes sound better, more focused but still laid back/soft for mine taste (possible due to the carbon film used, but I don't know the real reason), the most impressive thing now is that both channels seems more equilibrated like with the same gain.

Salas in a back post you tell me to tweak R3 47K adding 2.2Meg so you wat to reach 46K017, instead two resistors not will be better to order Michael Percy Audio an exact value in only one resistor the TX2352 "nude" Vishay Bulk foil allow two - four weeks & cost 15$35 each.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes sound better, more focused but still laid back/soft for mine taste (possible due to the carbon film used, but I don't know the real reason), the most impressive thing now is that both channels seems more equilibrated like with the same gain.

Salas in a back post you tell me to tweak R3 47K adding 2.2Meg so you wat to reach 46K017, instead two resistors not will be better to order Michael Percy Audio an exact value in only one resistor the TX2352 "nude" Vishay Bulk foil allow two - four weeks & cost 15$35 each.

That resistor suggested by Salas will give big presence... experiment with whatever you have at hand just to pick up the better value.

:D
162873d1268779721-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-wwres.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok

With the new value of R4 right, the picture looks much better now:

My suggestions are:
Left channel place a 1M4 over R3 and a 470p over C2
Right channel place a 1M9 over R3 and a 450p over C2

LEFT
R1 3k3
R3 47k // 1M4
R4 6k8
R5 1M13
C3 15n6 + 330p + 68p
C2 46.3n // 470p

RIGHT
R1 3k3
R3 46k8 // 1M9
R4 6k79
R5 998k
C3 15n6 + 330p + 68p
C2 46.4 // 450p

So for resistors you want to reach?

LEFT
R3 45K473

RIGHT
R3 45K675

Will be better only one resistor instead two, right? possible will order a Vishay with exact value to Michael Percy.

What about if I change R5 for Caddok MK132?

LEFT
1Meg001 or 1Meg002

RIGHT
1Meg001 or 1Meg002

Please tell me wich will be better for each channel? I have to change the rest of components if I will change?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That resistor suggested by Salas will give big presence... experiment with whatever you have at hand just to pick up the better value.

Ricardo for R3 you suggested:

Left 45K473
Right 45K675

Salas for R3 suggested:

Left & Right 46K017

I don't know a lot of about electronics but I'm very curious, why are different values?

Last edited: