Simple SE aux capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm curious what others have used for the auxiliary (or supplemental) power supply cap in the Tubelab SimpleSE.

From reading the threads, I see that it needs to handle about 370-375 VAC (525-530 VDC), and be about 90 to 300 uF.

Are most people are using motor-run caps? Would a 100 uF 500 VDC electrolytic work?

Specifically, any part numbers from the major suppliers would be real helpful!

Thanks!

I used a 80uF motor RUN cap from ebay. I believe it is the low ESR of the cap that is important.ebay 80uF cap

There was a thread about this just recently. I used the cap above in several projects. From what I gather though, shipping is expensive for one unit and there may be better deals around. (I had a flat rate box full of them shipped, saving cost).

As chirish said, the main purpose of the aux cap is the low ESR. This improves the responsiveness of the power supply for HF and other transients. Adding more overall capacitance is not the goal, though it doesn't hurt (some will argue that point that some sag sounds better, but I don't buy into that personally). So if you add another electrolytic, you are adding to the capacity of the supply. However since it will also have relatively high ESR, it still won't improve the supply's response to those transients.

So that's the reason why the size of the cap (60-300uF) is not as important as the type of cap. You want some kind of film/foil cap here. This is another topic that Morgan Jones covers nicely in his book.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.