Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi MainFrame99,

Yes, I have a floorstanding design - it has been fully simulated in Akabak and CAD plans have been drawn, please PM me if you are interested in the full plans. It uses all 3/4in BB plywood and is 40in tall x 14.25in deep x 9in wide (external dimensions):
attachment.php

Without room gain, and after baffle step loss in 4pi space, the speaker has a nominal sensitivity of about 84 dB and a -3dB point is 40Hz and -6dB is 29Hz.

Here is the predicted SPL vs frequency - it is designed with a smooth rolloff that will integrate with a room's modes to give a nice response down to 30Hz:
attachment.php

Here is the predicted impedance curve which shows the tuning is at 31Hz:
attachment.php

It is designed with the PTT6.5 woofer on the top and the tweeter below it (RST28F with WG300 waveguide for example). If you want to use it with another tweeter, that is fine too but you will need to design your own XO or go with active DSP amplification.

Attachments

• PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Render.jpg
    PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Render.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 6,315
  • PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Freq.jpg
    PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Freq.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3,346
  • PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Impedance.jpg
    PTT6.5-Floorstanding-TL-Impedance.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,247
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Different designs. The floorstander is larger volume and will play a little deeper and smoother.

I am not aware of anyone else bothering to sim it in HR since I have already done it in Akabak, which is probably more comprehensive, and hence more accurate. I am not sure how to simulate variable damping in HR as that is critical to getting this TL properly tuned.

So there it is I broke one Purifi how it's possible with an TPA3255 and Mean Well 36V.
Leakage?
Maybe but I don't find it.
Distorsion?
With an TPA3255 36V maybe 2X80W?
Yes I done all channel swap and change elements in boxes.
I take it but could have missed something in my build in the inner.
:(

So there it is I broke one Purifi how it's possible with an TPA3255 and Mean Well 36V.
Leakage?
Maybe but I don't find it.
Distorsion?
With an TPA3255 36V maybe 2X80W?
Yes I done all channel swap and change elements in boxes.
I take it but could have missed something in my build in the inner.
:(

Hi Solve,

Got your PM, thank you. Perhaps you could email my colleague Kim Madsen at knm@purifi-audio.com with some more details of what happened and he can see if he can help you.

Hilsener

Lars @PURIFI

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Solve,

Got your PM, thank you. Perhaps you could email my colleague Kim Madsen at knm@purifi-audio.com with some more details of what happened and he can see if he can help you.

Hilsener

Lars @PURIFI

Good to know folks from Purifi are active on DIYA!

And glad to see that your solved your problem Solve! Your name says it all! :)

I have thinking for a long time to fix the ugly MDF so I put on some vinyl and glued the front baffle with epoxy, was not sure it would be enough surface with the overlapping vinyl on the back side.
I must had some leakage on the baffle with screws even if I had some sealant.
My EQ in nanaDigi just sounded to much in the low end so I had to remove the low shelf filter.
I mean that's good but I am a little surprised.
Here is an RTA measurement at listening position with the 30hz song in post #321.
65db only EQ at 44hz where the room peaks and high shelf.
So the baffle got tight and I gained some low end.
I'm happy!

Attachments

• Vinyl.jpg
    Vinyl.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 614
  • Sealed.jpg
    Sealed.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 603
Reactions: 1 user
I have never played my system for anybody except my wife or my son that think it sounds good.
Now I had an "real" friend who understands sound at visit.
-Man!
What bass!
It sounds so clear!
Waveguide what's that?
Could you build that to me!!
I forgot to ask what speakers he have but I know he has an good looking 1000 dollars Marantz and I have two TPA3255.
He never heard better sound.
I killed him.
:)