Simple I/V bufeer for PCM56p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys ,

could you please advise how to remove M5204p from the circuit below :
pcm-buffer_zpsiuocqa67.png

I know that probably i will have to measure the output , but at the moment i have no scope , so any simple passive solution is welcomed !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
In the schematic the PCM56 are configured to use their internal opamps so technically this is not an I/V stage. This is an output stage. You can remove M5204AP by desoldering them. You will need to connect an output filtering stage connected to pin 10 and 11 though if you don't want it to be silent.

As georgehifi said you can skip the opamps with these DAC chips and use their current outputs but it will be some work. Current output can be superior with the right I/V circuits.

Passive output has its merits too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! Both answers are quite useful for me , but probably i will go , with the :
In the schematic the PCM56 are configured to use their internal opamps so technically this is not an I/V stage. This is an output stage. You can remove M5204AP by desoldering them. You will need to connect an output filtering stage connected to pin 10 and 11 though if you don't want it to be silent.

I will remove the Mitsubishi's op amp and take the signal from there , Jean do you have a simple scheme for output filtering ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Pin 9 and 10 connected you mean ? You can't use that output without any filtering ! You must do some filtering or you'll be disappointed. Sound will be bad plus your tweeters won't be glad.

Are you going OS or non OS ?

Some members were busy with PCM56 too in the past:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...a7210-pcm56-dutch-american-connection-27.html

BTW an oldie, it is a non OS separate DAC with glue logic, a better opamp for I/V + active filter. Please note that 2 x 47 Ohm resistors are needed after the last opamps in series to the outputs.

Attachments

• CS8412-PCM56.jpg
    CS8412-PCM56.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
This is far simpler and with no global feedback to all users sounds better, as VHF glitches from the dac don't excite it. And there is a LP filter off pin 5 to ground. Pin 6 is to the output rca's. And it can be direct coupled if you use pins 1 and 8 dc offset nulling pot.
Cheers George

Attachments

• ad844_c-b_i-v_sch PCM1704.jpg
    ad844_c-b_i-v_sch PCM1704.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
If you do not know exactly what you are doing then I recommend that you not attempt to convert this to NOS. It would likely require significant hacking of the PCB and existing circuit, which may render your DAC as completely non-working. However, Jean-Paul shows one possible PCM56 NOS implementation in post #6.

Ken , i will take the risk :) What i`m going to loose anyway :) ? Yes i saw that Jean posted CS 8412 scheme , but in my case i have DF which is a bit different .

Um, yes, I recognize that you currently have a DF. My point is that you would need to bypass that DF chip somehow, which will almost certainly require hacking of the PCB. In addition, you would need to demux the data signal from the DIR chip, which is what some of the logic in post #6 does, producing stopped-clock operation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.