Simple Design tool for Audio Amplifiers

Linux - These simple Windows programs (PSUD2, etc.) should run fine in WINE.
Not sure what happens on a mac but the versions of windows that an app will run on are an indication of if it will run under wine. I'd guess up to 8 maybe higher. It can be a bit hit and miss so it's a case of trying it. Windows software has some rather variable feature that a programmer can use which can make emulation tricky. These can also cause problems for win programmers.

It's a good idea to have the latest version of wine which should be easy under linux but it may not be. Distro's are often slow to keep up with it. Wine Tricks may also be useful but not sure what that can do these days.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Just so everyone is clear. I have a base circuit, I want to create, and I want software to analyze what I have…. I’m going to go with LTSpice as I have a friend that going to give me a database of tubes to upload and use…

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
create the simplest EL34 Single Ended circuit I can

Likely already been done here.

An SE EL34 will need a driver tube, the PS will likely be the most complex bit.

I haven’t designed a lot of amps, but i have drawn the circuits of many. Ignore the labels, a simple SE amp will look much like this one.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 09.06.38.png

You might be able to lose some parts, the tube gurus can suggest potential simplifications.

TubeCAD is the only special purpose designed software for this. It will run in Parallels (on a new Mx Mac likely faster than most Intel boxes), if it is well behaved it should run in WINE, the slick commercial version of which is Crossover Mac. The only software i run in Windows is nor well behaved and one of my MacPros is a Windoz box. TubeCAD is the other piece of SW i have considered.

I would suggest thou, that for your first amp, grab Morgan Jones and use as a guide to do it by hand to give a good understanding of the fundemntals of what is happening.

. It is not hard.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Info about WINE (which runs on Mac, apparently):
https://www.winehq.org/

As for getting a Windows PC to run TubeCAD:

The problem with the TubeCAD software is that it won't run in current Windows PCs. It requires an older 32-bit Windows version like Windows XP.
"For those of you who still have old computers running Windows XP (32-bit) or any other Windows 32-bit OS.PROGRAM WILL NOT RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."
http://glass-ware.store.turbify.net/tubecad.html

Info about WINE (which runs on Mac, apparently):
It's possible to install both 32 and 64bit versions. Google will bring up how to install it. These days this seems to be a lot easier to install the latest version on Linux anyway. Probably the same for mac, a winehq page.

Problems with running apps? They may part run is the only way I can describe it. ;) Some aspects run and some don't. Some clicks have problems - say maximising the view for instance. I tried one like that a couple of days ago. Old version of wine so may be ok with a newer one. I have a large screen, much larger than they used to be. Older apps are often ok.

I've had an odd problem with WinISD recently. Reason may be that wine creates a C drive for windows apps. I decided to keep the project files elsewhere on the linux file system. Net effect some sections work still and some don't apparently without any speaker parameters yet no problem designing the box. Changing one parameter late on caused this. It's beta software or it could be wine but hard to see how, I had noticed that tutorials suggest putting an A in front of added speaker parameters so they come up early in the app's list. I've created a separate folder for these as well. If windows users do the same thing it may have the same problem hence the suggestion to add the A. All boring but suggests it's best to allow the app and wine to do it's thing and use it like that.

Windows could run older packages. I suspect win 11 will get worse and worse in this respect. I had toyed with the idea of going back to it after 25+ years of hardly ever using it, Fingers on one hand too many to count usage. I buy a newer PC and what do I find. It will force updates on me and admits some apps wont run on it. Actually updates wrecked a win 8 laptop I had. It also forced updates. That because it hadn't been updated for a number of years.