Simple but complete pcb program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This will make some of you guys laugh (or cringe!)

I generally use Sprint Layout and for simple boards, maybe even Express and I recently redesigned a pcb for the fairly simple F5 amplifier where I eliminated the tracks (kept the donuts for mounting purpose) that uses the resistor wires for conductors and/or used solid copper wire for power tracks, etc - like a modern day point-to-point assembly with some Teflon sleeve.

How about that for a Fred Flintstone award!

The joke is, the damn thing provides a far better sound than the same F5 amp with the 'official' boards- go figure, eh!

Must try this with the Aikido gain stage where the circuit is again pretty simple and the official boards are HUGE ....

Subjectively of course.

absolutely agreed! there are some aspects of engineering where the books just take you so far, after which, you are on your own (or find a good mentor). layout failures due to bad placement make some of the most lasting lessons there are!
:D

mlloyd1

OK I agree, placement is king and this is the one skill that only practice, more practice and examining the resultant design will give you...It has to be learned.

Subjective? Of course, Marc - not much point in other people telling me what I like, is there?

Now I couldn't really say how 'correct', or 'right' even if I mumbled away about Prat, freq response and other even more subjective descriptions ...

Be good if you could develop a way to design a spherical speaker chamber that included a tapered resistance with an easy moulding or casting material - keep you in Carlsberg for quite awhile

OK, let's get practical because I have to go forward with this project. For now I'm following the tutorial and discarding some things like internal layers which I will not have, probably ever for this particular project.

I think I agree that component placement is paramount, and working with two layers allows switching between them for the tracing. In the end you have to decide how close you can get between components depending on how to set your traces.

My tendency is to stay on the bottom layer as much as possible, going to the top layer when I can't work it out on the bottom. Read this as traces not being too long. Jumpers should be used minimally, but short distances between components I think is very very important.

So in a way I am stating the rules I should follow, which someone may suggest other rules they found important in pcb layout.

One thing I will have to work out is that some stages I would like to make "pluggable", so I can try different piggy-back options: limiter, headphone stage, level meter, reference oscillator. I was thinking of using DIP-8 sockets for that, if necessary pins allow it. But I'm open to suggestions on that too.

Last edited:
I tend to use the top layer as much as possible and try and keep the bottom layer clear for ground... Not critical if you are using all PTH components as top and bottom are interchangeable BUT:
If your board is going to be PTH then you can use smaller pads on the top allowing easier routing between pins with the bigger clearances and tracks.
If using SMD it becomes critical otherwise you end up having extra vias when you don't need them.

Using DIP sockets and single in line sockets was common practice for PTH designs so you could play... They do come in single rows which allows more flexibility.

Cables Connectors/Connectors Multipole/SIL Sockets | Rapid Online

The spherical speaker chamber sounds interesting...

...so I can try different piggy-back options: limiter, headphone stage, level meter, reference oscillator. I was thinking of using DIP-8 sockets for that, if necessary pins allow it. But I'm open to suggestions on that too.

Hmm. Bear in mind that now you have the problem of layout of layouts. These things may interact.

Obviously people do construct complicated modular systems, but the more complex the system, the harder to debug.

I was looking for basic software for schematic capture and PC layout for small amps. Simulation nice but not necessary. This thread is old, but what is the current thinking of this board on best software for small power amp design?

I found Cadsoft Eagle Professional layout and Sprint capture, from GET INTO PC.
I also find Eagle from what is probably a different company, owned by Autodesk.

The thing is, I have used Eagle years ago for laying out a Leach amp, and it was fine for basic capture and layout, libraries were a pain, but I got the job done. That system is long gone, the hard drive crashed and I had other crises at the time.

Like to get going again.

I have used Eagle when they were free and it was OK, actually great considering the price. I seem to recall dealing with some European company, hazy details.

Now one version seems to be owned by AutoDesk of AutoCad fame and the Express package is free for non commercial use, but somewhat limited. The other Eagle/Sprint seems different?

Anyway, I will invest time in learning this so want to get one that is good, supported, not expensive, and has Gerber output.

So, I'd like to hear from actual users, which software, pro's and cons, any gotchas. Thanks gang, I know you will help.

I was looking for basic software for schematic capture and PC layout for small amps. Simulation nice but not necessary. This thread is old, but what is the current thinking of this board on best software for small power amp design?

I found Cadsoft Eagle Professional layout and Sprint capture, from GET INTO PC.
I also find Eagle from what is probably a different company, owned by Autodesk.

The thing is, I have used Eagle years ago for laying out a Leach amp, and it was fine for basic capture and layout, libraries were a pain, but I got the job done. That system is long gone, the hard drive crashed and I had other crises at the time.

Like to get going again.

I have used Eagle when they were free and it was OK, actually great considering the price. I seem to recall dealing with some European company, hazy details.

Now one version seems to be owned by AutoDesk of AutoCad fame and the Express package is free for non commercial use, but somewhat limited. The other Eagle/Sprint seems different?

Autodesk have aquired Cadsoft Eagle...
https://blog.adafruit.com/2016/07/0...purchase-autodesk-cadsofttech-technolomaniac/

There is also RS DesignSpark - freeware with no limitations, but clumsy libraries for anything not in the RS catalogue and many parts in it are crude to put it politely
Eagle has strict license limitations. Autodesk are unlikely to make them simpler

My choice now is KiCad, which was finally released at 4.0.0 after this thread stalled and has continued to improve

I am sorry for the necro, but two cents. Well, three.

If you do not dare to read all the post, just look at this, with complete instructions to run it in "modern" machines.

I agree with carlmart position, but the documentation which comes with Kicad latest version was usefull for me and in a few hours I'd been abled to chase( capture ) the schematic, and layout the PCB. I still agree with carlmart and others, the workflow is too authoritarian. The last time I've tried to learn to use it I took a tutorial for a three terminal regulator PCB and at the end I've felt like if it was the apolo mission. There is hope for you, the docs improved, and shareability of your final project is better.

I looked upon lots of alternatives, altium, protel, etc... all had some kind of limitations, Kicad being free looks as the best option to learn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.