Silly Questions and Answers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cal the Gag&Bag-Man,

you mean Russians do not run to the Ros sprit and zakuski cabinet ?

Government booze (Ros spirt prom, aka Rosspirtprom) & Snacks.
Sprit is slang German for gas/fuel.

(me really behaved at that thread, no need for threats)

Hey Jacco, that's more confusing than my Tarzan-English. :eek:

Dutch-tionary ? :D

In Moscow, 5 gallons of gas/petrol cost the same as 1 gallon of 40% ethanol, aka Vodka.
So one man's Fuel is another man's Liquor. :clown:

Too many folks in Russia that went blind from homebrews, so the Russian government has it's own affordable factory/brand, Rosspirtprom.
(Ross from Russia, pirt as in spirit, prom is short for promyschlenost aka industry, e.g. GasProm)

As I said, the German word Sprit means fuel.
So : Ross pirt > Ros spirt > Ros sprit > Russian fuel in a bottle.

Russians eat when they drink : eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, drink.
Various little snacks go by the name Zakuski.

So, they should run to the gas & snack table instead, before the Vodka bottle pops.

It's no fun explaining a silly question & answer.

Anyway, I saw the video footage of the meteorite burning down.
Looked like it could have ended much worse, feeling sorry for the injured folks.

Last edited:
It's amazing how a small stone to acquire such energy

Silly answer :
A piece of stone as big as a hockey ball, that enters the atmosphere, would have burned up to the size of a sand grain by the time it reaches the surface.
Even then, it would still have such a speed, that the sand grain would go right through your body so fast, that you wouldn't even notice it.

Silly answer :
A piece of stone as big as a hockey ball, that enters the atmosphere, would have burned up to the size of a sand grain by the time it reaches the surface.
Even then, it would still have such a speed, that the sand grain would go right through your body so fast, that you wouldn't even notice it.

True, in this case, seems to me that was important the angle of incidence with the atmosphere, the kinetic energy, aka 1/2 mv^2, mostly transformed into heat, most of the rock disintegrated in successive explosions, because, addition to their very high speed, curiously entered with a large angle to the normal.

Languages are fun ; Spirit in English, Spirt in Russian, Spiritus in Dutchie & German

Speaking of languages, here is commonly said fresh as a synonym for soft cold.
When someone is sober, also is said to be fresh.

A friend of mine tell him Summer.

Not even a fresh day. :D

transformed into heat

Cds is drag coefficient of a sphere, say 0.5
Afs is frontal area of a sphere, a stone sphere of 10 metric ton would have an Afs of something like 3m2
Rho is specific weight of air, 1.29 kg/m3
Suppose speed V of the sphere is 15.000m/s (or 54.000km/hr)
Friction times speed V makes power loss.

Try see what kind of mega-W number comes out.

Hey, that's too high for me, your language is of an engineer, and I'm just a TV repairman. :D

Easier, at classic non relativistic speeds, assuming that the friction counteracts the acceleration of gravity, then v = constant

K = 1/2 mv^2 = 1.125 x 10^12 J

Wow ! 1 TJ = 1 TWs, that's a lot of energy. :yikes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.