silicon chip magazine 15w class a amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SandyK,

And proud of it too!

No, I haven't built a SC Class A and don't intend doing so. Leo and co are besotted with low thd numbers and there is much more to reproduced music than that. I like FETs and Nelson Pass so an Aleph X is my next amp as soon as I can drag my fat lazy *** away from the pc and over to the soldering iron.

Steve.

Silicon Chip magazine

I have tried the FET route with designs such as the ETI5000, and AEM6000 by David Tilbrook. I found they had an artificial warmth
to the sound. Similar to the sound that so many people seem to like about valve amplifiers. I briefly revisited valves recently, with the SC valve preamp, but with a few minor mods to reduce PSU noise and increase separation. The soundstage was great and lovely sounding on DTV. When there was a lot happening at once, however,it exhibited exactly the same behaviour I heard at a HI-FI show many years ago in Melbourne with the >AU$100,000 Ongaku Valve amplifier , when someone slipped in a Madonna "Q Sound" recording. It sounded terrible. However, it's all about choosing whatever you get the most enjoyment from.
SandyK

Steve
I agree Leo will be seen as you say. Pity though, as in the days when EA, ETI and AEM were running, it was a much more exciting time for DIY electronics than it is today with just SC. Sure times have changed, but Elektor still manages to produce world class projects. Just compare the quality of the two. IMO AEM was a great magazine with some really innovative projects. SC just doesn't do it.

SandyK
No I haven't built it, as my speakers are too inefficient (Dynaudio Finale & Ellis 1801) for such a lower power amp. Even so, I doubt I would when there are more innovative designs out there (I use Giovanni Stochino amps published in Electronics World a few years back and am looking at doing a Borbely).
I think part of the problem is Leo's ego. If you dared to suggest a fault with the amp he would shout you down or say it was rubbish. Try telling him the benfits of better quality caps, for example (I doubt anyone on this forum would doubt the difference caps make). And it's not just audio projects - virtually every project they publish is aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Smithy
Many years ago I modified the Studio 200 and told Leo Simpson what I had done. He didn't agree with my mods, but published a 4 page article showing both circuits and invited comments.
So, I don't agree with you. In the past I have found Leo does listen. On another occasion I mentioned that I had used a discrete version of the LH0002 buffer.Several months later SC published an AV switcher using similar, but different type transistors.
Perhaps he has changed over the years, but I think it's a newer team member that doesn't like suggestions.
SandyK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.