Side mounted subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi mOtion,

There were a few papers in the JAES that used measurement and listening tests which "concluded" that woofer position and orientation could be determined at 60Hz and above. The measurements looked at the upper bass harmonics, and the conclusion section discussed their effects on bass source location.

This matches the experience of one friend who built a narrow front MTM tower with opposing side firing woofers 3rd order crossed at 200Hz, and was very disappointed with male voice.

Some of the latest 3-way designs use modern speaker and crossover technology to put most of the human vocal range on one slightly larger midrange (Linkwitz 8" ~ 120-1,400Hz), and this design strategy would probably get the best results from side firing woofers. Magnetar and Lynn Olson are experimenting with 12" midrange.

LineSource said:
Some of the latest 3-way designs use modern speaker and crossover technology to put most of the human vocal range on one slightly larger midrange (Linkwitz 8" ~ 120-1,400Hz)...

...Magnetar and Lynn Olson are experimenting with 12" midrange.

A 12" used as a midrange would start beaming for it's higher frequencies... Does anyone know what is the exact relationship between a driver's diameter (or radius) with the frequency at which it starts beaming?

Mo

Bad_mojo said:

A 12" used as a midrange would start beaming for it's higher frequencies... Does anyone know what is the exact relationship between a driver's diameter (or radius) with the frequency at which it starts beaming?

Mo

Motion,

Deep male voices can go as low as 80-90 Hz so you should crossover no higher than that to be safe. For non vocal material it might sound ok a little higher but I would l would not count on it. I would shoot for 80Hz or lower.

Hezz said:

Motion,

Deep male voices can go as low as 80-90 Hz so you should crossover no higher than that to be safe. For non vocal material it might sound ok a little higher but I would l would not count on it. I would shoot for 80Hz or lower.

Thanks for the info but that's not what I am asking. I am curious about the midrange beaming... at the higher end of it's rage... any info about the relationship of the driver's diameter and frequency length at which it start beamin???

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.