Shunt Regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have built 20 positive and 20 negative Borbely shunts, they are stable.
The output C15, 16 are 100uf and C 17, 18 is 0.1 polypropelene film bypass, if any problems don’t use low ESR cap and maybe leave off the 0.1 uf film. I didn’t use film cap because I used Blackgate FK electrolytic

C11, C12 C is 220 pf silver mica for the driver.
D1, D2 is Semitec E102
D3, D4 Is Semitec E202 or 1.5 k resistor

Last edited:
It is similar to that of Borbely it seems.

Not sure when and where Borbely 906-255 was published for the first time,
however the Waagbo article of AudioXpress 2-2008 is not original but in many
aspects a rip off from an earlier one in Audio Amateur Magazine, predecessor
of AX.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The 2008 article was probably the first time I saw Erno's shunt regulator. I bought many kits from Erno, but then he stopped selling.

Jim's Audio on eBay sells a similar shunt regulator board. He gives a parts list if you buy it, I think all the resistors are same as Erno's, but he has a few semiconductor substitutions. I used this board from Jim's Audio and built a number of Erno's super shunts with it, it works just fine. I had the original semiconductors so I can't say if the substitutions work or how they sound. They also have a BJT shunt regulator, but I never bought or built it

Borbely all FET low-noise super shunt regulator PCB one piece - JIMS Audio

Last edited:
It is similar to that of Borbely it seems.

Not sure when and where Borbely 906-255 was published for the first time,
however the Waagbo article of AudioXpress 2-2008 is not original but in many
aspects a rip off from an earlier one in Audio Amateur Magazine, predecessor
of AX.

Yes it is. But I use BJT, instead of JFET. I do not know the value of resistors and capacitors in Borbely version. In simulation it worked. It have good PSRR, low noise, good transient response, etc.

I have built 20 positive and 20 negative Borbely shunts, they are stable.
The output C15, 16 are 100uf and C 17, 18 is 0.1 polypropelene film bypass, if any problems don’t use low ESR cap and maybe leave off the 0.1 uf film. I didn’t use film cap because I used Blackgate FK electrolytic

C11, C12 C is 220 pf silver mica for the driver.

Are they original Borbely values? I know that Borbely series regulators driver resistors are 33pf. Where did you get 220pf?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I need to look to be sure, its been a while since I built them. But 99% sure its 220 pf. I got the first kits directly from Erno.

Yes it was 33pf on the Millennium 200 amplifier's series regulator. (this cap isn't on the pc board or parts list, but it was a later note I got from Les Bordleon who bought the license to continue some of Erno's designs.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
there is a 5 volt version of the Borbely shunt.
it used a bipolar differential pair (no cascode theres not enough voltage), a 2,5 volt reference (Walt Jung's Gled is a great 2.5V reference but need 8-9 ma for lowest noise, current source a 9 ma idss 2SK170), and 2013/313 fets as the current sources and shunts

Last edited:
Sorry, some components value is missing because I do not want to share it. I designed it for my friend.

The reference voltage use Walt Jung's design.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 205
Joined 2005
Paid Member
5 volt shunt = dac d/a converter chips
Borbely dac 8 x BB 1704 K - 300 ma +/- 5 VDC

The Jung Gled uses Zetex transistor with very low rbb for low noise, BC 237 and BC 337 are not as low. the current mirror in Bimo’s shunt is interesting

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.