Should I replace drivers in a Klipsch RB-51 II or is it a waste of effort and $$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a set of bookshelf/standmount speakers for a second system for use in a small room about 10' x 13'. I will be using a nice Simaudio moon I7 integrated and Cambridge Audio azur 740c for the digital side. The Klipsch are okay, but it is a little mismatched sound quality wise. Appropriate new speakers might run $1,000 - 2,000, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit on a replacement tweeter/woofer for the Klipsch and utilize the existing cabinet. Would it be worthwhile to "drop in" upgraded replacements or is this a bad idea. Here is link to the RB-51 II specs. Thanks

http://images.klipsch.com/RB51IICutSheet_635042121478370000.pdf

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi abnerjack,
Those speakers are well above average for sound quality. The efficiency is high as well. They would be a hard act to follow with the average speaker you can buy new. You must use the factory drivers or it will most definitely sound worse. The factory drivers are good, again above average. I used to do warranty on Klipsch speakers - and other brands too.

Buying new? Why, buy used. A set of PSB Stratus Silver would be nice. If you want really good sound, Stratus Gold speakers. They run about $900 up here in Canada, so cheaper where you are.

-Chris

Thanks for the replies folks. It appears that replacing the drivers would not be a good idea, but I do like the advice to augment with a sub(s) and replace the caps. Otherwise, just go for another speaker altogether. I couldn't go wrong with the sub option because I could use it/them with other speakers. Sounds like a good experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.