Short wave Valve transmittor :) what valve is best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thats not exactly what he's referring to, if you transmit on the shortwave band at all (even at 0.01 watt) you WILL get ham radio operators making a very angry phone call to your local police station. and he is referring to harmonics caused by the transmitter, which could end up on ANY part of the spectrum.

Don't build and design your own transmitter, that requires years of experience to do right.

NO emission on the shortwave band is allowed without a licence, even if its a free section, it might not be! thats the rules that you must adhere to when you get a ham radio licence.

Put it on the AM Broadcast band!

DON'T ASSUME that a piece of band is free! it might be used at a certian part of the day.

Last edited:
sco1t said:
In the uk there is no shortwave or long wave radio stations any more just an empty band.
Not true.

and the transmitter output will be checked and tested,
Your answers so far give us cause to doubt this.

Note that very low power FM transmitters have a specific exemption from the normal rules, and CB radio is restricted to type-approved sets only. In both cases DIY is not a legal option.

The only legal solution in the UK is to use sufficiently low power that the transmission cannot be detected beyond the boundaries of your property. To do this you either need the right knowledge and the willingness to use it, or buy a suitable kit. If you really knew what you were doing then you might just be able to do it with a valve, but I would still not recommend it.

If you want to learn about transmitters then get an amateur radio licence.

Should you decide to embark upon this path:

do NOT use an ANTENNA!!

Use a DUMMY LOAD!

It will work well enough and it may help you if you run into any legal issues.

The easiest thing is to find a cheap, used signal generator and modulate it... some have modulator inputs. RF generators should not be expensive or difficult to find. Old tube ones.

RF generators sold as test equipment also have one other benefit, they do NOT require a license to use.

Learn more about the uses of the shortwave bands before deciding what is on, and what does what.
I can say with some certainty that you don't know at this point, and you need to know these things
before you try anything you propose to do.

_-_-bear

Last edited:
I found out that there is a radio club near me. Should I ask them what I should to?

They will tell you what we are telling you. Some of us are longtime, knowledgeable radio guys.

Radio transmissions are legally regulated down to the molecule in most countries, but there are mostly good reasons for the laws.

But if you are interested in radio, check it out! Or pick up a few books and read up. It is a very interesting field.

They will tell you what we are telling you. Some of us are longtime, knowledgeable radio guys.

Maybe not in such a calm and timid manner as you would find on this forum :p

Be aware of that.

"I want to build a radio transmitter that transmitts on shortwave!"
"Do you have a licence?"
"No, I want to use it to transmit to my vintage radio across the room"
"Oh you mean an AM MW transmitter"
"No I mean a shortwave transmitter"
"#(*(#@*(#@@(*"!!!!"
"*Looks shocked*"

You had better rethink your name of this transmitter and NOT use Shortwave in the name, use "AM Transmitter".

And yes, do it from a kit, its the only way that you will keep it safe to use and then you won't be afraid to turn it on and use it!

sco1t, you need to use the computer to search and read what this stuff is... the difference between MW and SW is well documented. Easy to find.

and yes go join your local radio club, get urself information about ham radio, study for your ham license, visit their stations, etc...

...that may be the best thing to come out of your interest in this project.

keep in mind that some of the people in ham radio clubs don't have the best people skills, but any of them with half a clue will welcome a new person, and if ur young (as I suspect) then they ought to roll out the red carpet if they have any sense... most won't, but you may find a mentor amongst the group if you take ur time, listen with your brain in receive mode, and be respectful.

_-_-bear

The OP appears to be at the level of someone who wishes to make a bicycle, but he can't work out why wheels are round and hopes to manage without using a chain.

Join your local radio club, and follow their advice. As others have said, they will tell you the same as we are telling you. In order to legally build a transmitter you need at least an Intermediate Licence in the UK (IIRC - I was licenced years ago under the old rules). Even then it would not be for the broadcast bands, but amateur bands.

Df96 needs to learn his manners a bit more and learn not to judge some one so soon.
I've managed to make lots of things just never transmitters. I know I need to lean lots more and I am :). Radio seems to be a very interesting so when I know enough I'll do what's needed to get an armature licence. My old valve radio can pick up from 15 meters to 49 meters. there is 2 or 3 mature bands in there so says this book lol... I have transistor sw radios too but they are rubbish :(
Thanks for the advice.... :)
Should I still try making a very low power MW transmitter or kits first??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.