Shigaclone to No-Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the innards for the Shiggy are now rarer than rocking horse manure I have been looking for something that might be of interest to modders. I came across a top-loading DVD player Remote control for £17 Squids!!!

There is a volume control on it as well. Only Audio Outs (no Dig Out) and picture out (On RCA's)

ASDA Sp Dvdtl01 Dvd Player | DVD Player | ASDA direct

Here are some pics. I think that there is a lot that can be done with this, a la Shigaclone. There is a digital out facility on the Sunplus chip, and there are spare connectors on the board. Just a matter of finding the right one.
Boards are made by Samwin, who appear to bne linked to Oppo.

I reckon you could run a fresh PS to the chip board and leave the nasty Switch Mode to power the IR board only.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I took the board out last night and on the underside are markings for the power supply connectors (+5v, G, +12v, G). So easy enough to connect up another supply. There is also an unused connector which has two pins marked OP and G. I assume this is output, hopefully for the DIG out. It occurs to me though that the DIG out may only output 192kHz and not useable for CD. We will see.

By the way it sounds pretty good IMO in stock form. There are audio settings (accessed by playing a DVD) I have set it to 2 channel PCM and the frequency setting to max. Sound appears marginally better through a scart to phono lead than from the Audio RCA's.

Last edited:
The ad could read :-

"lovingly hand crafted and hewn from solid bamboo to provide exceptional stability for the DC powererd micro-processor contolled DVD/CD drive system.Critical components on the processor board have been selected for their audio excellence e.g Elna Silmic, Panasonic and strategically placed tantalum bead capacitors. This audiophile spec player comes with remote control for Power-On, Play, Stop, Start etc and Volume Control and Mute. Further modifications may be made to the processor board in the future. The all inclusive price is a stonking £399 inc v.a.t and all local taxes and postage."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.