• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Hi,
thank you for your answer.

Katana is limited by i2s bus of RPI , not possible to go over 128DOP
If katana is only limited by the rpi i2s bus , what happens if I use a ak4137 to input a dsd256 signal using i2s into katana?

Revolution works up to 512 DSD
Will Revolution dac will have multiple powering strategies like Katana?
Do you already have an eta for Revolution dac?

I wil have to check if the i2s and DSD lines are same on Katana (ess9038q2m)
Thank you.
it will be great if you find the info.

Second Katana is a master DAC and as such it provides the clocks and only gets data (so I am not sure if your device is compatible)
If I remember well, Markw4 had a solution for using ak4137 with dac in master mode. Could you confirm Mark?

If I remember well, Markw4 had a solution for using ak4137 with dac in master mode. Could you confirm Mark?

It's possible, but requires hacking AK4137 I2C registers in order to output native DSD in that mode (only one of the AK4137 boards supports master mode dacs in PCM, but for PCM only). However, in the DSD case that I tested data jitter increases in dac master mode (AK slave mode) which ES9038Q2M is sensitive to. What would probably work better would be to use Katana MCLK to clock AK4137 output, then use one (or two D-filp flops in series) to sync the DSD data with ES9038Q2M generated DSD clock (for master mode operation). Its all doable, the question is does one want to do it bad enough to undertake the work.

Also, by taking over Katana MCU function, it should be possible to drive it from USB including DSD512. To do it in master mode would either require an XMOS USB board configured to operate as slave, or resyncing the data with D-flip flop(s) in the case where the XMOS board uses external clocks sourced from Katana. The JLsounds USB board could work in the latter case.

Sorry no easy solutions for you. Let's hope Revolution is killer and we don't have to worry about improving Katana capabilities.

It's possible, but requires hacking AK4137 I2C registers in order to output native DSD in that mode (only one of the AK4137 boards supports master mode dacs in PCM, but for PCM only). However, in the DSD case that I tested data jitter increases in dac master mode (AK slave mode) which ES9038Q2M is sensitive to. What would probably work better would be to use Katana MCLK to clock AK4137 output, then use one (or two D-filp flops in series) to sync the DSD data with ES9038Q2M generated DSD clock (for master mode operation). Its all doable, the question is does one want to do it bad enough to undertake the work.

Also, by taking over Katana MCU function, it should be possible to drive it from USB including DSD512. To do it in master mode would either require an XMOS USB board configured to operate as slave, or resyncing the data with D-flip flop(s) in the case where the XMOS board uses external clocks sourced from Katana. The JLsounds USB board could work in the latter case.

Sorry no easy solutions for you. Let's hope Revolution is killer and we don't have to worry about improving Katana capabilities.

Hi Mark,
Thank you for the explanation.
Seems a lot of work to me.
Let's wait to hear how sounds Revolution Dac.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, I joined so that I could follow this thread.

I have a question I’m hoping that some of you can answer.

I have a USBridge acting as a Roon bridge that connects to my Meridian Prime LPSU and Headphone amp. At the moment I use the original Allo psu and an iFi iPower to supply my USBridge. The Meridian LPSU has a USB pass through that cleans the USB power from the USBridge before sending it on to the Prime Headphone amp.

My question is, would I gain anything from using a Shanti to power the USBridge?

I am a big fan of Allo products and am looking forward to the USBridge Signature, so thanks to all the team at Allo for their hard work (especially cdsgames). I would like to be able to wall mount my USBridge on a wall, any chance of adding slots in the bottom of the case so that it could be mounted to a wall or back of a bedside table?

Just as an observation I would also prefer to be able to use custom made cables on any power supply. Sockets on a future revision of Shanti or even Nirvana would be fantastic. I hate extra long cables that have to be zip tied up in a bundle 😁

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I took the plunge a fortnight ago and bought the Allo Shanti power supply. Like yourself, I have a USBridge which I formerly powered with 2 Ifi iPowers. I thought they were pretty good and I might only see a marginal increase in sound quality. On the contrary, the Shanti improved the sound quality that the USBridge can produce.

I use a Chord Mojo linked to the USBridge with a Curious USB cable. There are 2 Audioquest Jitterbugs: One servicing the USB audio port, the other acting as a filter between the ethernet dongle and the USBridge.

One of the spare ifi iPower supplies now is used on a network switch.

Everything that can be improved in a hifi system was improved when I put the Shanti in the mix. Pace, timing, transients, bass, detail, timbre of instruments, the ambience of the recording space. Images are more stable. This coupled to the improvements in detail retrieval and transient timing makes vocals much, much more believable.

For your information my amplifier is a Rega Brio-R with Dynaudio Excite X12.

All of these improvements were heard when using headphones too. I have a Rupert Neve headphone amplifier and Grado SR325e headphones.

I highly recommend this power supply for use with the USBridge.

Thanks for the reply cdsgames and for your extensive one piripiri82.

Like yourself I had two iFi iPowers on the USBridge but found that it made the sound too bright on my Meridian Explorer², this was before I had my Prime/Prime LPSU headphone set-up. So I went back to using the Allo supplied psu on the USBridge and the iFi on the sparky.

I have an iFi Powerstation on its way to me and I think my next purchase after that will be USBridge Signature. I will keep the original USBridge for another set-up and purchase a Shanti for that.

I am tempted to purchase a Shanti now for use with my current set-up to see if it bears fruit but I think I might be better off waiting for USBridge Sig.

The iFi PowerStation also has a grounding system, if you had Shanti plugged into the PowerStation and supplying USBridge with power do you ground Shanti to the PowerStation or USBridge to Shanti? Or USBridge and Shanti to PowerStation Have to admit I am confused about this.

Do not worry , earthing is a complicated subject

So you have a IFI power station that connected to earth using 3 prong AC

Shanti is connected to IFI power station *thus to earth) using 3 prong AC

USbridge Sig earth has to connect somewhere

Now if you connect the USbridge earth to IFI power station and Shanti is also connected to same earth it will work , but I think the best way is Shanti is connected to earth of IFI power station (by design) and Usbridge Sig earth nut connect to Shanti Earth nut.

This way there is no loop .