• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

We have implemented successfully a pre IV filter
We further lowered the noise N

We decreased the 5 harmonic to -131 (highest harmonic)
We completely eliminated 3 -4 harmonic and 6-20 harmonics are at -136 (highest )
THD is -126.5. This makes the best THD I have seen on ess IC.

SQ side we experimented with lowering the low frequency noise on clocks and buffers.Success
We furthered decreased the impedance on opamp rails . Success
We changed the filter to MFB and we took 100 tests to find the perfect combination of R values . Done

Whats left.

I am getting the new PCB with changes tomorrow . I hope that before next week I will send for 10 samples to PCB house. I am beefing the opamp caps and assessing the net result

From those 10 units we will keep 6 and a few selected people will get samples for SQ assessments

Soundcheck,

How does it compare to your battery supplies? I believe you used to use batteries right? Curious how it compares. Im very interested in buying a pair..

Thanks

Yep. I always have some A123 LiFePO4 around. But. These are not 5V.
Using these as 5V primary supply requires a regulator at the output. :no:
Of course you could also attach a nice supercap buffer to such a setup.

We have had numerous discussions over the years. Over at Ians threads, with cdsgames and elsewhere.

I think there's a kind of common sense that an extra large non-regulated supercap buffer supply,
which basically acts as battery, would be the best of all non-regulated primary PS solutions.
Not long ago IanCanada has been testing this and confirmed it.

Humble as Allo is, they wouldn't call their supply a non-regulated supercap supply.
But. That's IMO what Shanti is. It comes with a supercap buffer on the output according to cdsgames.
All filters, regs, transformers are basically used for charging this buffer and to keep the noise out.

Simply from a theoretical & logical perspective I do have the feeling that it's not worth
to run extensive battery+LDO vs. Shanti testing, considering that we look at a supercap supply.

However. We all know that LiFePO4 delivers extremely low ESR,
which makes them fast and punchy and also provides extreme current delivery capabilities.
And usually you locate them right next to the device using very short wires.
And that's exactly why I was pushing cdsgames to tell us the ESR of Shanti after the supercap buffer+cable+adapter.
As good as Shanti is, using the DC-cable and adapters would IMO be a compromise.
It might be an interesting idea to get rid of these.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Since I cannot show the sound quality of Revolution , I will show the latest FFT

Folks , this is the best THD measurements on any ess sabre IC including PRO, in any DAC in the world , on any output (XLR or RCA).

Unlike the best measured DACs , ours is held back (rca) by noise (N) the dominant parameter . Noise is more benign than harmonic distortion (and rather low)

Attachments

• latest fft.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 193
I got my my Shanti delivered 3 days back. After cooking for 3 days, I got down to listening to it today.

It has taken my setup clearly to the next level.Everything is sounding a lot more three dimensional.

@csdgames great job!

My Stereo chain - PC (Roon + Tidal + HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge + Shanti | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 LPS | T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

I just ordered the Shanti to give it a try with my Digione Signature. I have quite a few LPS options at home but to my ears nothing beats the Allo battery pack with LiFePos powering the clean side. It would be nice to have something a little more convenient.

I'm not a fan of the fixed DC cables and having to use adapters. I already have custom length 5.5x2.1 & 2.5 to USB C cables I could have used but the price is reasonable and it's worth a shot. :)

Received my Shanti tail end of last week. I'm also not a fan of the fixed DC cables/adapters, but I can see why it's been done that way. Having said that I'm very impressed so far, it's made a big difference to my modest streaming setup - the best way I can describe it is that everything sounds a lot more 'solid'. Separation between instruments is also much improved - great job Allo!

Using it with RPi 3B, Ian's IsolatorPi, Kali and Piano 2.1 into DV pre/power and Obelisks. Haven't got around to buying the Katana, interested in the other items in the works from Allo...

What's the current lead-time on the USBridge Sig?

Last edited:
Very interesting!
The Shanti seems to be a very good indeed having the right ingredients for a high quality LPS.
I also have high expectations for the USBridge.
I think Allo does a great job in adressing some long existing problems in pc audio streaming... That is the PC itself with several noisy power supply's onboard.
And in this setup with the CM rpi module it also solves some (perhaps even all?) Rpi hardware limitations but has the advantage of the great software development.

Hello Surrealstix,

Where did you procure Shanti LPS from ?

Thanks
Balaji

I got my my Shanti delivered 3 days back. After cooking for 3 days, I got down to listening to it today.

It has taken my setup clearly to the next level.Everything is sounding a lot more three dimensional.

@csdgames great job!

My Stereo chain - PC (Roon + Tidal + HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge + Shanti | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 LPS | T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

Hi there.

I just stepped over a side-effect that seems to be associated to that huge Shanti supercap output buffer.

After turning off the power switch of Shanti it can take forever, depending on the load, that the buffers get discharged.

Shanti does not seem to cut off the DC power rails (and discharges the caps via discharge R) if the mains gets disconnected.

What happened?

I accidentally switched off Shanti while having RPI/Katana/Adam speakers
still on.

What I had to listen to sounded all but healthy. :eek:

I just wanted to say:

Handle with care!

There doesn't seem to be a safety belt.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
First, for those asking questions of Allo, note that Ioan said he'd be on vacation for about a week starting Friday July 26 in post #245. I don't know if he has anyone else from Allo checking this and other threads, you may need to be patient for a response.

@Soundcheck,

Good warning!

The Ultracaps are directly connected to the output. Just as the .33F Supercaps used by Allo in the Boss 1.2 and Katana can take minutes to discharge, the 1.5F (as I remember) Ultracaps in the Shanti can take awhile too based on the load current draw.

I keep some 10R resistor plugs around to discharge these (and other ultra-high capacity) supplies down when I plan to open the case or otherwise mess with it (like installing different plugs on the cables).

Two related pro tips....

- If you want to adjust the output voltage (mine were both set at 5.2V by my meter) you MUST put a load on the supply beforehand. I use a 1k resistor here. IF you don't load the output and adjust it up, when you adjust it down the Ultracaps hold the high voltage value for some time (many minutes!) and you won't see any change in output voltage. Putting a light load on it will force the Ultracap down when you adjust the pot down.

- IF you attempt to adjust the output voltage, note that the adjustement range can put you above the 5.4V rated max for the 2 1.5F Ultracaps on the output of each rail. I (and I bet Allo too!) don't recommend going over this max!

Finally, another pro tip.

@Soundcheck has mentioned the output cables on the Shanti. I agree and have talked with Allo about this, who has also suggested shorter and heavier cables for the best sound. That of course is a modification and will likely void your warranty! OTOH, it is very likely a good upgrade, depending on what you use. I cut the provided cables down to about 20" and installed my standard supply connectors to mate with my Katana and other units for testing.

I've been doing comparisons with my other top 3 supplies powering the Katana. I'm not ready to do a full report yet (I like to give supplies such as the Shanti at least 2-3 weeks of run time before any final assessments), but I'm pretty comfortable in saying it will be in this top group and will be by far the least expensive of them.

Also, my final comparisons will be with replacement output cables on the Shanti (some of these other supplies have NO cables on the output of the final stage, just a connector that mates with short pigtails on my Katana, so it is only fair).

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
Today testing shows that USBridge draws about 550mA. So its the same, you can use your PSU.. Still note that on power on there is a spike of about 850mA for 200mS

I am confused: So the new USBridge Signature with DigiOne Signature on top will be powered through the two USB C Inputs of the DigiOne Signature?
So you can use the SDPIF out and USB out together?
What is the advantage of using the new USBridge together with die DigiOneSignature?