• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shanghai: please recommend some audio shops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Per the thread title, I am travelling to Shanghai in May. I want very much to take advantage of this opportunity to buy some tube audio gear. I think I would be most interested in stuff that I would find expensive here, like fancy OPTs, TVCs and I think even a complete tube amp. Any recommended shops to visit?

I often visit China at least once a month as business trip.
In ShagHai, there are small number of shops who are selling Tube Amplifiers while there are a lot of shops in ShenZhen.

So far, I have found only one shop who is selling complete amp.
It is located closed to ShangHai Music College, about 200m west of the gate of the college. The shop is a dealer of OPERA AUDIO.

http://www.opera-consonance.com/

For tube components, you can find only one shop in ShagHai SAGEM building as below. Close to SAGEM (about 200m away),there is another Electronics Components Shopping Building
in which you can find a dealer of ShuGang Company on 3rd floor.

http://www.segem.com.cn/retail/a3f1daf374cfee9294f1347755b82dea.html

'73 de JA2DHC

The reality is not nearly as nice as you make it seem. Its been a couple years since I was working over there, but then it was impossible to find tube gear. And parts / electronics have a way of being world priced - as in it's $10 US everywhere... I had great luck finding non tube parts and audio stuff, but a great deal of it failed quickly or was outright dead when I got back to the US to test it. It was fun finding it though... I have heard that hong kong and ShenZhen are much better tube wise, but that is a long trip from shanghai... in the far south of china...

I bought some small signal dual triodes from Shanghai about 5 years ago. I have no idea where it is because our agents took me there. The shop had lots of tubes and all priced almost US style. So it was pointless looking for anything at a 'good' price.
I bought the 4 tubes just because they took the effort to take me there !
I have't used them yet !.........and am not sure when they will be .
Cheers,
Ashok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.