Setting up a passive PA system

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I need some help setting up a PA system. I have tried to look for some decent info online but it generally for powered speakers etc. which I do not want to use. I have the following components.

Xenyx 16 channel mixer
BSS 966 EQ
DBX 234 xl crossover
DBX limiter (not totally required just yet but I think this is set up as insert but not sure)
Behringer NX3000
and a Wild Thang 200 amp lol
2 Yamaha 12 inch tops
and 2 sub zero 15" subs.

I have had connected many different ways. I think I want to run it stereo but I see the benefits of running mono. I am setting it up primarily for my sons band and as a party PA. Any links or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks again.
D

Did you not mean active PA?

Because you use DBX crossover.

set.jpg

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Indeed it is active. But it’s not powered speakers. The diagram above is exactly what you need to do. :up:
Choose the more powerful amp for the subs. Figure out the crossover point for the subs by ear or see what is recommended for that model. If you want to keep some bass out of the Yamaha tops, the DBX can do that two.

Sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for the diagram. I assume according to the diagram that I take the left and right low and send them to the low sub amp and take the left and right high to high main amp. I also use an EQ which is before the cross over. Do I really use a 30 band EQ for the subs and 30 band eq for the tops? When I connect this way it seems I get more sub woofer when I pan one way and more high when I pan the other. Is this normal?

If you know of any good books on this subject or website I can read that would be cool. Pictures help :) below would be the gear I have. The wild thang amp I will use for a 2 monitor mix. But that is a separate question.

Attachments

• Behringer NX3000 back.JPG
    Behringer NX3000 back.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Behringer NX3000 front.JPG
    Behringer NX3000 front.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Crown 2500 xls back.JPG
    Crown 2500 xls back.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Crown 2500 xls front.JPG
    Crown 2500 xls front.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DBX 234XL crossover.JPG
    DBX 234XL crossover.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 123
  • DBX Limiter back.JPG
    DBX Limiter back.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DBX Limiter front.JPG
    DBX Limiter front.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 91
  • LD Systems WIldthang 200 back.JPG
    LD Systems WIldthang 200 back.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 96
  • LD Systems WIldthang 200 front.JPG
    LD Systems WIldthang 200 front.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Opal 966 EQ back.JPG
    Opal 966 EQ back.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Opal 966 EQ front.JPG
    Opal 966 EQ front.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 136
If you have eq before crossover then you have one 30band for left and the other 30band for right channel. First 5 or 6 bands will effect low output channel and rest will effect the high output channel. All in dependency from the choosen crossover frequency.

Please make a diagram with your connections and settings. Use the photo's.

And read the manuals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. This is how I have it set up. However when I pan a I get more low end and if I pan the other way I get more high end. I was just using an Iphone to test. I send left channel to one strip on the mixer and the right channel on a different strip and when I pan these it adds or removes low end. I will make a word document with my pics and post it later. thanks again

I think using a stereo input for a stereo device makes more sense, it just removes the potential for things that may cause issues and gives you the control you need on 1 channel.
To use a pair if mono inputs correctly I think one has to be panned hard left and the other panned hard right otherwise there is potential that some of the signal will be cancelled... that may be what you are hearing.

Exactly what cable and adapters are you using to connect the iphone now?

P.S. From one of your comments above, make sure you have the crossover set for Stereo operation and Summing is turned off, switches on the back for that.

Thanks Conanski, I am using an iphone dongle to 1/8th to 1/4 inch stereo. I want to run it all in stereo for now and understand what I am doing then perhaps switch to mono later. I basically want to use it for small gigs/play music from a CD player or I phone. I vote for a rack mount CD player and burn party music but I am old. Once I buy the rack I will mount everyting pre patch all components and speaker cables and so it makes it faster to set up and tear down. Who knows maybe even do a little side hustle with it.

Thanks Conanski, I am using an iphone dongle to 1/8th to 1/4 inch stereo.
So that cable Y's into a pair of 1/4" jacks?

I basically want to use it for small gigs/play music from a CD player or I phone. I vote for a rack mount CD player and burn party music but I am old. Once I buy the rack I will mount everyting pre patch all components and speaker cables and so it makes it faster to set up and tear down. Who knows maybe even do a little side hustle with it.
Been there and done that... but burning CDs is a lot of work.
NewDJSys2.jpg

Here is where I am now, my whole music collection on a laptop with Virtual DJ installed, and a small tabletop mixer connected to the speaker system. This completely eliminated the whole rack above.
Music setup.jpg

The only book that I'm aware of, for this specific area, is Don Davis's "Sound System Engineering", which may be more than you're looking for. Yamaha has some good articles on the topic. JBLPro.com might also. Also, go to your local Guitar Center or other sound system equipment dealer and talk with them.

The last picture tells me You are connecting the 1/4 TRS jack only tn one channel.
Mixer expects a balanced signal (one channel in phase & one inverted) and stereo is two channels in phase which cancel each other when summed
Since You are feeding in a stereo signal, You'll hear the difference between both channels. "Tiny sound".
You have to split the 1/8 to two channels on the mixer or connect both L&R signal wires in the 1/4 jack together. Although every gear has some sort of protection, For the latter case I would place two resistors of 470-1K in series with each wire. Make sure the cable is 1/8 TRS stereo to 1/4 mono TS jacks.
Bear in mind Apple likes to be different than others on jack layouts. Check with an 1/8 to RCA cable connected to an amp or with an ordinary headphone.

To use a pair if mono inputs correctly I think one has to be panned hard left and the other panned hard right
Yes for stereo operation. Strip 1 is sent to master L & strip 2 is sent to master R

I have 3 or 4 stereo left and right inputs and RCA I think. Is it better to go through those connections rather than feed 2 strips?
Yes, but You probably will lose the EQ buttons. Check the mixer layout.

How you connect the subs to the NX3000 will also greatly vary the output you will get. Assuming they are 8ohms its 440w per side, but in bridged mode into the two subs connected in parallel (so 4 ohms) then its output is 3000w in total. See the specs (btw, the numbers are over inflated by behringer but still the point stands that 8ohms on each channel is not getting anywhere near what the amplifier is capable of).

You will need a different speakon configuration at the amplifier end to be able to use the bridged output. That's certainly true of the INUKE3000 predecessor where it has to be 1+ positive and 2+ negative. It should say what you need to do on the back of the amplifier.

• Stero/4-Channel:
      • 2 Ohms Per Channel, Stereo: 2 x 1500W
      • 4 Ohms Per Channel, Stereo: 2 x 900W
      • 8 Ohms Per Channel, Stereo: 2 x 440W
    • Bridge Connection:
      • 4 Ohms: 3000W