• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Separate transformer for heaters. How to reference this to ground?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys.

I replaced the output tubes in an ECL86 amp with PCL86, but in order to do this, I had to install a separate transformer to get the necessary heater voltage.

The transformer's two output wires are twisted tightly, and directly connected to the PCL86's heater pins (4 and 5), and the hum is aggressive.

I assume I am doing it wrong, but I'm not 100% sure on how to rectify this. Other than literally rectifying it to dc, that is. ;)

Am I supposed to connect one of the output wires to ground?

Fabricate a center tap for the new filament winding from a pair of resistors. Chose a value that passes only a few mA. Connect the CT to ground via a decent sized 'lytic. Bias the CT off B+ with a resistive voltage divider, keeping the published heater to cathode potential limit firmly in mind.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The easiest way to create an earthed heater supply is by adding two resistors in series across the transformer taps.The centre point of the resistor is then connected to ground . The resistors can be 100 ohm each and a wire wound type of 2 to 5 w should be used. It is prudent to measure the secondary voltage of the transformer under loaded conditions to see that it is at the correct level,as it is common to find a higher voltage with an under run item.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.