• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Separate PSU to Amp connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gents
I would like to ask if this one plug, plus an umbilical cord, and a suitable octal socket to plug in, can be a safe (cheap) way to carry the B from a separate chassis PSU, to an amplifier

Attachments

• 0017aNOValmale.jpg
    0017aNOValmale.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 161
I guess the Health and Safety boys of today would not like it even though the Octal plug was used for many such applications in the past. Just make sure you fit the socket on the power supply and arrange for the amplifier not to have any charged capacitors lurking on the detached plug. I try to use connectors that have a certain amount of shrouding on both halves, even recessed pins are better than fully exposed ones, especially if exposed pins can be touched whilst actually making contact with the socket.

I'd be happier with the Bulgin rather than the octal.

I also make sure the psu "knows" the HT connector is terminated before energising the HT. In my case, continuity between the sheild of the BNC and the chassis. This then operates a relay to switch the ht on after a short delay to let the cathodes warm.

Yep, I was going to suggest Bulgin but I was not too sure on their availability at J's location. Just wondering if the contact rating can be pushed by not using contacts either side of the B+ one? They probably quote a lower figure based on creep-age between adjacent contacts under various levels of humidy etc. Some of their connector range do however go up to 2.5kV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.