Searching for good 16cm (6.5') fullrange Drivers ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never tried horns and never heard any.

They look like "ultimate" enclosures to my eyes but my friend is sceptical about this, because the size is very big if you want them to extend down to 35-40Hz.

He'd rather like something smaller but he's ready to accept a horn in his room if it is really worthy.

I simulated several speakers in a back loaded horn of a reasonable size, and the Supravox 165GMF remains the best candidate right now.

I didn't draw any plan right now, so my friend doesn't know if it is small enough for him.

I heard about the Fe168E-Z and everybody seems in love with them. It doesn't model that well in a back horn, but remains a good candidate. I'm mainly afraid by its very uneven frequency response. but maybe it isn't a too bad issue.

Concerning Jordan and FX120, I own myself some FX120 and I am really pleased with them, they are wonderful speakers, but don't have much impact and bass extension due to the smaller cone area. (my friend has some Fe127e, and wants more, so Fe167e isn't a good candidate).

I'll keep you up-to-date with my simulations and the plans, because it isn't me who will finally decide "horn or not horn". That's the question :D

youyoung21147 said:
Wow ! really nice link ! It's rare to see such comparatives !

I was rather looking for super-tweeter types, like horns and ribbons because the drivers in this link all have less than 97dB efficiency (at least what I require to match the Supravox), but my friend told me he would add better tweeters later if he wants, and we will begin the project with some FT17H tweeters. They have a good reputation for cheap tweeters

BMS have a compression driver designed as a supertweeter (better transient response than a ring radiator) and it`s the same price class when you use a DIY flare.
http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?show=item&usbid=10278&id=54357

I designed a small horn for PC speakers just to know how it sounds and how accurate Martin's sheet is when applied to horns.

My friend is building it right now, it should be ready in a few days.

I think my parents would'nt like the idea of going at someone's to hear a horn (I'm only 16 lol ) ; they don't even know I post on this forum :clown:

Concerning the F120A, now I have the FX120, I'd rather go for F200A speakers or some AER Mk1, because a 5' speaker compared to a 5' speaker cannot be such different (the FX120 is already excellent) and wouldn't be more powerful.
But yet, I don't have enough money for that anyway
:smash:

El'ol : this drive doesn't seem very linear, and it has a way too high efficiency ! I think I will use some cheap tweeters first to know how useful they are. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.