• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE OPT formula question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
These fellows are designing the output transformer as they have learned how to calculate the ferrite core inductor . The datasheet of ferrite cores give the sq,rt Henry/turn , after which you can calculate the number of turns to get the required value. Certainly they put a paper as air gap , wind about ten turns, and measure the inductance to deduce the 1200 value. To have better explanation of how to calculate SE transformers I advise you the Radiotron , free download. Warning. It is not as easy to understand.

I have … a question … that's been bothering me for years.

What would be the drawback of having either a CHOKE LOAD for the finals, or a auto-adjusting constant-current regulator (ideally 'shooting' for 60% of B+ as the quiescent operating point) then → → high value, non-polar capacitor → standard issue “single ended triode” output transformer … → out.

The idea is, have the quiescent current shunted away from the output transformer, leaving it to “transform the AC signal”, without the DC component.

Especially if a constant current regulator is employed, it seems like an almost (but not quite) perfect fit.

The use of a choke load instead has the advantage of running the triode way closer to its maximum voltage rating (and above!). But still … its more iron, more cost, a lot more mass and space. Might have been the only way to accomplish this before say 1975 or 1980, with the invention of really good CCS's made from FET/MOSFET technology. Depletion mode devices with really, rally flat 'pentode' signatures.

Just asking,
-= GoatGuy ✓ =-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.