SE amplifier on stacked QUAD ESL 57?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
imp-2-57-jpg.1055700

From this diyAudio thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/quad-esl-57-impedance-plot-and-ltspice-model.386355/

An SE amplifier typically has a highish rout[/out] and that interacts with the impedance. That is issue 1.

Second issue is: how well does your amplifiwer drive a capacitor. Note the phase angle curve.

friend has triple QUADs.

Demis-tripleQuads 2.jpg

He drives them with 3 amplifiers built on LEAK stereo PP EL84 amplifiers.

dave

Reactions: 2 users
I have used many amps on the ESLs, Marantz 8b, 2 , 5, Citation II, Berning ZOTL ZH270, Bedini 25/25 and a Wyetech 211 SET. I also use Futterman H3 and have just acquired a pair of Futterman H3aa's that will be up next.

The Wyetech 211 SET is a fabulous match for the ESLs- one of my favourites. I'm not sure a 300b would do the ESL justice.

My experience with the ESL is that stacking just causes a bunch of other potential problems and complexity. The best advice I have is to have the ESL professionally refurbished from a panel perspective and you will be very happy.

IMG_2710.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am in the minority - but I have run many amps with my stacked quad 57s over the years. I don't believe they need as much power or impedance matching as you would read about. As an example I am using a small EL84 PP amp with them at present, about 8WPC driving them wired in parallel. I'm not using them very loud, but then I don't think you would be using 57s at party levels anyway. To put it in context though, you would need need to raise your voice quite a bit to talk to someone over music, so loud enough I think for most listening.