Scottmoose and planet10, this is for us - the Calhoun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With the double horns, shipping becomes a huge factor. We like to keep things small & light enuff to go by post, which limits us to 30kg & 1m max dimension.

Even with post, shipping a FH3 (with no drivers) to the far corner of North America, means post runs half again as much as the flat-pak itself.

One of the reasons i am encouraging a cottage industry of flat-pak builders to keep shipping to something with less impact.

dave

dave

They have received a bit of a face lift. My wife is still in bed so I will have to do the testing later. I needed to do this as I thought they might be tuned a bit low and I didn't feel like filling the cabinet. It's now a 2.5 way with the top driver in each case running full range and a choke on the bottom drivers. The tweeters have a 1.0 µfd cap and an fixed L-pad.
I'll take better pics later. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8939.jpg
    IMG_8939.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 197
Wow, I must say the extra drivers have done exactly what I wanted to happen in the bass region. Can't wipe the smile off my face. Had to actually close the ports down to aperiodic so the bass wasn't idiotic. :D Now I have to play around to make sure I can still hear some vocals.

Power hungry yes but all in all these are a much better speaker, to my ears anyway.

Overload indeed. I had to make up for the fact I wasn't there till Sat morn. and then left Sun morn. That's a lot of rum I had to drink in 24 hours. Did I say rum? I meant Fresca. ;)

Dave, no comb filtering or whatever you call it with the 2.5 way. Now I will increase the size of the choke and add a shunt cap as we need to tone it down a bit. They sound like a 70's speaker on a tube amp.

Will report back.

Well, as you guys know I can't leave well enough alone so I decided to improve the vocals by adding a 3" mid. It's an OEM FR driver sold under the Audiosource label. It's actually glued to the baffle so it has to stay there for now but this combo has added that missing upper mid that you miss with the WR125's.

They're getting better. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9423.jpg
    IMG_9423.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_9424.jpg
    IMG_9424.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.