Schematic? Mark Levinson No. 33H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone accidentally poured a cup of tea in this big (79Kg) monaural bastard, while powered up....... Apparently she was very cute, so the owner couldn't let his head explode, like he certainly felt doing at the time...it's only money, right? and..besides.....what's a little white smoke in your listening room?

I have a bad feeling though, that I will need the schematic.

Cheers,
Gregg

I have the feeling that when you see the schematic you will still need to
send it to the factory.

:cool:
Care to elaborate?
I got direction to a partial schematic of the output section, only, from a nice gent here on DIY- Thanks, by the way.
I haven't popped the hood or lifted the bonnet on this puppy, so to speak, as of yet....is this the one which reportedly has a 60HZ AC generator built in? Usually the output on those things is saw-tooth or triangular, like those cheap-*** UPS boxes. The only perfect generated AC I have seen is from an HP6811 arbitrary waveform generator....just sayin'..
Other than that, the output and driver section in the 33H just look like a perfectly symmetrical design with a ton of output devices in parallel for muy current............
Stay tuned. It's so physically heavy, that I have to work on the floor- easier to move around.

Lot's o' stuff

That is fairly impressive from a build-quality point of view. I'm always amazed at the relatively low wattage most of these extreme audiophile amps are designed to put out. The Watt/Kg ratio is very low. In the scheme of things 300 WRMS/ 8-ohm isn't very much. Most living room speaker loads are 6-8 oHm loads, generally. So rating something at 1 ohm, to make the amp read like it has more jam than others, isn't very realistic or even valid spec-wise. On the other hand, it's difficult to spec/ describe numerically, an amp that dumps butt-loads of current. 300/ch is more than is common for the average living room, but not for PA amplifiers. Most PA amps don't sound very good, it's true, but once you've got a great-sounding design ( high speed/ well-damped), just add power supply (big rails +filtering) and a large number of HV output devices. There ARE a couple PA/ studio amps which sound way better than average, IMHO. Hearing a living room system with multi-kilowatt/ active bi/tri-amp per channel potential is really great, if you've never heard it- the dynamic difference in apparent headroom, is the most audible/ obvious aspect. Especially at lower listening levels. Like a super, super clean, short-throw PA system with real bottom end impact. It's hard to go back to 100-200/ch. The speakers need to be matched for higher handling power and excursion, which starts leaning towards studio monitors, which every audiophile should own at least once in their lifetime , if only for perspective. ..the best thing is that you can generally rent this stuff, to temporarily audition it- highly recommended.
I just realized I have described a high-end two channel home theatre system....duh.
Cheers,
Gregg

Care to elaborate?
I got direction to a partial schematic of the output section, only, from a nice gent here on DIY- Thanks, by the way.
I haven't popped the hood or lifted the bonnet on this puppy, so to speak, as of yet....is this the one which reportedly has a 60HZ AC generator built in? Usually the output on those things is saw-tooth or triangular, like those cheap-*** UPS boxes. The only perfect generated AC I have seen is from an HP6811 arbitrary waveform generator....just sayin'..
Other than that, the output and driver section in the 33H just look like a perfectly symmetrical design with a ton of output devices in parallel for muy current............
Stay tuned. It's so physically heavy, that I have to work on the floor- easier to move around.

To get the full schematics you have to pay 99c. thats not bad for Levinson schamatics, I think they are hard to come by.

I have the feeling that when you see the schematic you will still need to
send it to the factory.
:cool:
I think the same way.
Similar over-engineered topology (but not similar circuit topology) than Halcro
http://www.halcro.com/pdf/AV-dm10-38Review-Mar10.pdf
But nevertheless definitely not better than a tri-amping system with two Aleph's in the mid- and high frequency aera so as an ordinary good quality public address (PA) high power amp for the bass in a three-way loudspeaker system.

Attachments

• Mark Levinson No_33-H output schema.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,301
Last edited:
Well, over-engineered... looking at the power distribution bars they seems to be made of nickel plated steel. The bars connected to the output terminal sems to be less than half an inch from the transformers grounded shielding. Anyone accidentally kicking the side of the amp may short circuit the output to ground...

I find that offensive!

As an electrical engineer, looking at those photos, I find that offensive.

Last time I checked, I think we are supposed to be building audio amplifiers. I have seen less complex circuitry in NASA control panels.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Professor Albert Einstein.

QUOTE......: As an electrical engineer, looking at those photos, I find that offensive.
Last time I checked, I think we are supposed to be building audio amplifiers. I have seen less complex circuitry in NASA control panels......UNQUOTE

Didn't the original space shuttle have only eight separately tasked, Z-80 CPU's in it? Holy moly.......!!!!!!!
I concur to a certain degree.and also get paid to design/ patent electronics..but completely over-the-top audio has a place in the world....not my budget, but hey, audiophile companies need these guys as customers, to exist..who do you think buys (BS!!!)4000$ AC cables?...not anybody who understands empirical engineering/physics..Put it this way- this over-engineered gear is justifiable for me to maintain or repair as necessary for the next thirty years due to the owner's investment. much like maintaining an old Aston Martin..
The saga continues: after troubleshooting the tea spill, I have found most of the damage centered around the OSC PCB- a 60Hz generator with a symmetrical design power amp for.........you guessed it.... re-generating AC!!!!!. This gets rectified again as the big B+/- rails for the main amplifier PCBs. Also low voltage rails.
ML is presently being somewhat un-cooperative about selling me a replacement PCB but has no service / distribution anywhere on the entire left-hand side of North America, where I reside- imagine that!!!!!. Also, imagine paying to package/ship/insure this 156lb mofo, aproximately 9,000 miles roundtrip-cross-continent.
I think not....... You can do a lot of repair for 2K$, even on burnt/ slightly crispy PCBs.I could get a PCB made at my PCB house, for 500-1000 if necessary.Stay tuned.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was hunting around trying to find the input, and cocluded I was either just plain dumb (ok, I am on occasion), or the schematic was not complete. Looks like it is more of the latter than the former.

I would agree this does seem way over the top. This thing is not an audio amp - more like a power station.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.