Scary Good Setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am doing something sort of similar. Tweeter Esg3 - Mid 10" PHL 3451 -Bass Lambda Sb12". I chose PHL as a mid driver because of the perfect sensitivity match with ESG3 - 101dB!!!
This was important because it will be driven by low powered Cary 2A3 triode amp. Lambda is low sensitivity 87dB and is driven by 300W amp. Crossover is active Marchand Electronics crossover. I did some tests and the sound is fantastic.
I heard that Raven had many problems and is essentially getting replaced by Esg. I am waiting to finish woodwork, so I could report more.

I've heard very little about the ESG ribbons relative to the Ravens. What problems do the Ravens have? How are the ESG's better (besides sensitivity & shielding)? Both types of drivers fit my specs and are close enough in price (besides the R3), so I just want the best match for the ATC mid.

Also, since I don't need that low a crossover point, and my volume and efficiency requirements are not bad, would it be better for me to use a shorter ribbon like the R1 or esg2 since they probably have better vertical dispersion? Or is their vertical dispersion already bad and I should just use the one that gives me the biggest sweet spot (or sounds better)?

Thanks,
- John

The Ravens largest drawback is their slightly rising Frequency response. If you choose to deal with this problem then the crossover design can be a bit more tedious. I believe most people just ignore it but it would annoy me. The ESg1’s Frequency response is very flat.

I would rethink your ribbon cross over point. I love the ATC’s but Ribbons are beautiful transducers and impart both a sense of air and warmth to the lower treble, upper midrange that even the ATC’s can’t match. If you do a search on the Madisound board I think you will find that most of the people there were much happier with their ribbons when they crossed over between 2 and 3K. If cost is no object then I believe that the ESg’s are again the way to go since you can bring them in lower due to their wider bandwidth.

I am looking at the Skanning flex 8 for the upper base unit, here is the link and the price quote he sent me.

http://www.flexunits.com/

Attachments

• prices.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 84
There seems to be little info on the Skanning/AudioTechnology drivers on the net. I'm sure they are very nice, but do you know how they compare to other top-rated drivers like SS Revelators, PHL, Focal Audiom, Seas Excel? They appear to follow the Dynaudio approach of massive voice coils and plastic cones. Sure they are expensive, but is this simply because they are custom made?

Skaaning drivers are way up there with the other top drivers with soft cones.

Remember that Mr Skaaning is the father of Scan Speak and Dynaudio.

The distortion are low on the Skaaning drivers, and One commercial speaker that uses/used an 8" Skaaning is the Sonus Faber Extrema. I think that the Guarneri Homage uses a 4" Skaaning.

If I would build a high performance speaker with polycones, I believe the Skaanings would be my choice.

/Peter

Trax said:

I would rethink your ribbon cross over point. I love the ATC’s but Ribbons are beautiful transducers and impart both a sense of air and warmth to the lower treble, upper midrange that even the ATC’s can’t match. If you do a search on the Madisound board I think you will find that most of the people there were much happier with their ribbons when they crossed over between 2 and 3K.

Hmm... So how do think a Raven 3.1 would compare to the ATC/Raven 2 setup (with the ideal x-over)?

Price is no object...$3300 or ~$1800...for 800hz up!

HA! :yikes:

This way, we may be able to get away with a 3-way:
Raven 3.1
--800-1000hz
Skanning/PHL/Seas Excel (maybe the Mg matches the ribbon well)
--100-200hz
Stryke HE-15/Adire Tumult (Let's go all out!)

$5100 in drivers...mmm

- John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.