ScanSpeak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished my speakers but took a short cut. First order crossover instead of the monster super complicated Series crossover Troells designed for me. Thanks sir.
In x-sim this first order crossover simply tames some of the peaks that his steeper crossover requires notch filters for. So I felt justified and I just wanted to hear these ScanSpeak drivers.
Most amazing sound my house has ever witnessed.
Middle reddish boxes sitting on top of black boxes intended for SDx7 2-ways

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpg
    IMG_4425.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 580
8530-k00 midwoofers and 2905-9500 tweeters.
Troels had a small 10 litre design (Ellam98) for a similar pairing but different tweeter ... the 9400. I wrote and asked him if I could use the same crossover and he generously designed a new crossover for me. This was over ten years ago. The crossover seemed to daunting and expensive and I had never done any DIY. A friend who gave up on society gave me these drivers. My father made the baffles for me before I had any tools. He put the tweeter directly above the woofer despite my instructions to offset each tweeter opening the opposite way as in the Elam 98 design.
So I got into DIY and used cheaper stuff and learned a lot over the years always meaning to return to these ScanSpeak drivers. I just never did. Plus the crossover bill of materials was going to cost over $500...
So I eventually bought all the parts and still haven't built his crossovers. I just got sick of having this incomplete and wanted to hear these drivers. His earlier crossovers were said to be 'overly polite' so who knows if I'll actually like them. I like more forward mids. I will build his design eventually I'm sure. Despite my changes these are the best speakers I've heard in my house.
His most recent iteration of this speaker, Elam Flex, has a stepped baffle with the tweeter recessed to get phase correct. Link below.

Ellam-FLEX

Last edited:
More on first order crossover later. Basically 1.0mh on woofer and 3-ish(can't remember too late here) on tweeter. Inverted polarity on tweeter.
Port is 2" diameter 6-7" long flared.
Cabinet is 19mm mdf veneered with scraps from work. Danish oil.

Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Any measurements? Raw drivers and after your XO impelements? Also what are the dimensions of that cabinet - looks quite large in the photos. What did you end up with for a Fb and F6? Last thing, if this is the best your house had heard, what have you had previously, as a comparison of the quality/sound increase you got from these speakers.
They look very good, the veneer choice and finish is very nice. Thanks for sharing what you have so far.

As said above, 1.0mh on woofer and 3-ish(2.68) on tweeter. Inverted polarity on tweeter.

Slightly lame response I must say. No excuse for that kind of behaviour.

I have been very patient with total newbies who don't even know ohms law. And to have to see that kind of crap here is disgusting.

Attached are my first order quickie crossover and Troels' Series crossover.

Attachments

• first-order.jpg
    first-order.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 444
  • troels-series.jpg
    troels-series.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 422
FR curve didn't go low enough. Here is the FR curve to 10 Hz.

It was the middle of the night and had no access to my PC to add complete details. Just enthusiastic about getting sound out of them.

Veneer some cutoffs from work. I will find out what variety. Used Dark 'Danish Oil' which seems to be a common finish here in Canada but unknown in other parts.

Other speakers heard here were DIY of CSS and Tangband.

Troels has said the 8530 K00 "is perhaps the best 5" driver in the world".

Attachments

• fr-1storder.jpg
    fr-1storder.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
I've been pondering getting the 8530 as well. I feel 5" is one of those hit sizes for midwoofers if you can augment your system with a subwoofer. Already got the ScanSpeak ring radiator Troels used in his older Ellam design :)

Is the rising treble hard on the ears? Maybe a simple L-pad to cut down the treble a bit?

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Sorry if you thought my response was "lame", just trying to get some additonal information about this build you shared.
Either way...looks good, make sense you need a lot of space for that XO from Troels, that thing is massive (hopefully it's pure magic to your ears).
Do you plan to adjust the tweeter padding at all? Seems it might be slightly loud compared to the woofer.

Sorry if you thought my response was "lame", just trying to get some additonal information about this build you shared.
Either way...looks good, make sense you need a lot of space for that XO from Troels, that thing is massive (hopefully it's pure magic to your ears).
Do you plan to adjust the tweeter padding at all? Seems it might be slightly loud compared to the woofer.

I was referring to something else as lame. Not you.

I have resistors waiting to build a voltage divider for each speaker's tweeter when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Hello Gringo, I find Troels' series filter version, at least in this hypothetical situation, too complicated in comparison to mine (parallel), which is comprised of half as many parts. The blue line graphs are mine.

Attachments

• Lojzek's and Troels' Filter FR.jpg
    Lojzek's and Troels' Filter FR.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Lojzek's and Troels' Filter IMP.jpg
    Lojzek's and Troels' Filter IMP.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 195
I have traced the woofer from Zaph web site and tweeter from manufacturer datasheet, the sealed enclosure volume of 10 litres was simmed in impedance, as well as baffle step response from approximate measures of your speaker cabinets.

Attachments

• Filter.png
    Filter.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 188
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.